• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

lyman 50 cal great plains hunter.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattman

40 Cal
Reaction score
gave one to my son years ago. he never shot it so got it back, brand new. i put a very nice high end peep on the barrel i got years ago from track of the wolf. i then also put a lyman peep on the tang. double peep. makes for a very clear picture. i put a thompson renagade hammer on it for easier cocking. lots of mountain man tacks carefully put on. wooden maple ramrod. long wedges so barrel is more secure. magspark shot gun primer nipple. also drilled a very very tiny hole in back of the combustion chamber on the right side holding the gun. it is to relieve the air behind the bullet so the primer fire can advace very fast. i cut off the hooked curved butt plate end and installed a shot gun type butt plate very perfectly. covered in a nice deer skin cover that fit like a glove. shot it to day with 90 grains of blackhorn 209 powder. I used a 220 grain 451 bullet. after about 5 shots i got them in the same hole. about 40 yards. then tried out their. stayed right on point of aim. really like the gun. shoots very accurate, very easy to load. and with 209 powder i dont have to clean between rounds. years ago when i built this gun i also had the barrel cryo treated. it now one of a kind anyone would like to own. it also shoots 450 grain .491 paperpatced bullets as accurately. only recoil is a little to much for target practice. for hunting big game it is the bullet to use. would take anything down in n. america. the tang peep does take away from from the traditional look but i dont care. looking through two peep hole makes a very clear picture. i really like this gun and would never sell it now. its a keeper. i like to take guns and make them better than they were ever ment to be. this one is just that. i would post pictures but a almost 80 years old its too late to learn that. if some one gave me their phone or computer number i could have my wife phone picture it to them to post here if someone wants to. thanks for listening.

Last edited by a moderator:
a question? please a response if anyone can. what size is the dove tail cuts on the lyman great plains hunter rifle? is talking about paper patched bullets ok? the rifle has the 1/32 twist what i really like.

The Lyman dovetails are usually around .360 whereas common U.S. dovetails are .375

thanks, that way i can get a standard US front sight and enlarge the lyman dovetail to fit it. thanks again.

I suggest that you never should enlarge the dovetails on the gun.
There is an old saying, "Always do the modification to the cheapest part."
That way, if it is messed up, it doesn't cost a lot to replace the part and try again. If you mess up the dovetail in the rifle barrel, you're going to be stuck with an expensive fix.

Filing the larger, standard 3/8" dovetail on the sight to fit the smaller groove in the barrel is pretty easy to do.

a question? please a response if anyone can. what size is the dove tail cuts on the lyman great plains hunter rifle? is talking about paper patched bullets ok? the rifle has the 1/32 twist what i really like.

Paper patches? You bet!

i use a 60 thousands thick wad over the powder. around a 450 grain 491 diam pure lead bullet. one wrap of 18 pound paper. very accurate and very hard hitting.

Believe this is the first time l ever saw a ‘bedazzled’ muzzleloader.

thanks, thats good humor. i like tacks. my whole 30 year career of being a registered nurse is working with native americans. a lot of what they are rubbed off on me. my native name is suda womblie. means strong eagle or directly translated, hard eagle. same meaning. shows up in my guns. this gun is a real shooter. shot it at 100 yards yesterday. kept one hole in a snow bank. no fliers. snow is a good target to shoot at.

Back