• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman 36 caliber Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, back about 1981 or 82, my brother saw a used Lyman Remington 36 caliber revolver at a gun show and bought it. He bought it to give to me as he was never into BP. It came with the box and paperwork. The top of the barrel has Lyman Middlefield CONN. The left side has 36 Caliber Navy. The right side has Black Powder only- made in Italy. The barrel is six inches long with typical Remington style post front sight. The trigger guard is brass.
Does anyone out there have a Lyman revolver or know anything about them?
Thanks

Attachments

• F6D5763F-99E2-4C49-A623-E0129D5D4BFB.jpeg
    F6D5763F-99E2-4C49-A623-E0129D5D4BFB.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 144
Your revolver was built by Euroarms who was one of the better manufacturers at the time. Sadly they are no longer in business. They are identifiable by the lack of exposed threads at the rear of the barrel.

hawkeye2, Thanks. I'm familiar with Euroarms. I agree they were one of the best manufacturers. Thirty or forty years after the fact, I'm still beating myself up for not buying a Euroarms Cape Magnum shotgun. I can still vividly remember Rick Hacker writing about the Cape Magnum. Oh well.
Thanks again for the info.

A while back I lost a Euroarms (not Lyman) .36 right out of a gunsmith shop where it was for some work. Does yours have the correctly small frame and grip?

The replacement for my lost revolver was a Pietta. Waannhh!

A while back I lost a Euroarms (not Lyman) .36 right out of a gunsmith shop where it was for some work. Does yours have the correctly small frame and grip?

The replacement for my lost revolver was a Pietta. Waannhh!

nkbj, mine does have a smaller grip than my 44 Remington. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that gunsmith reimbursed you.
Thanks
P.S., I am not a fan of Pietta. I have Pietta that I bought new. Upon disassembly I found tool marks on the underside of the top strap. It was apparent when the frame was threaded for the barrel the reamer went to deep. I had the gun shop return it to Pietta. Pietta returned it saying "Because it was a cosmetic defect and would not interfere with the actual performance of the gun, they would not replace it". So much for their quality control.

Last edited:
I recently inherited one from my brother. I wasn't functioning, which was a problem with the bolt-spring, which isn't the normal colt type, but a wire spring. And it was (still is) loaded. So I fixed that, but for some reason, (reasoning is not my brother's strong point) he cut the grips in two, and then used a bolt to fasten them on the grip frame, as in a more modern gun or non-colt, you know what I mean. I remember him saying something about the mainspring...I'm assuming he couldn't get the grip frame on the gun. ? Anyhow, aside from being loaded, (why would you load a gun and then work on it?)(or load a non working gun?) it seems to be a nice revolver, and is other wise in very good condition. Now I just need to get a new handle/wood grip for it....but haven't "got around to it" yet.

nk, the gunsmith "lost" a pistol??? Then replaced it with a Pietta???????????????? What? Sounds like an involuntary "trade" to me. Hope you never went back there again. A shop losing a pistol is just about in the realm of the impossible.

Oh man I sure am dumb. Thought we was talking about a Colt Navy. Just now looked at the pic, and re-read the OP. D'oh.

The Euroarms .36 Remingtons were also the only reproduction which had the correct size .36 frame which was smaller than the .44 Army. The current .36 Remington copies are built on the larger .44 frame.

I have one, it shoots very well. It was used by a target shooter who adjusted the trigger pull and filed a bit off the top bar so the sights were aligned to his sight picture.

I also shoot a Dixie Gun Works brass framed Navy Colt that I bought in 1969. My wife has put over a thousand round through it by herself.

I use 13 grains of 3f under a corn meal filler with Crisco lube in both guns. I also dismantle an clean when I am done shooting.

As far as brands are concerned there are good guns and better guns. They all shoot well in the hands of an expert or from the bench.

When you reach the level of skill that trigger pull, and smooth action are needed you will know it.

I wanted a Remington in .36 caliber, and I patiently shopped for it for quite a while before I found one and snatched it up. Then my local range closed down for over a year and it has seen very limited use. It sure feels good in my hand.

Back