• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyle Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artkodiak

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Having spent a career in the USCG, it occurs to me that it would be a kick to get ahold of an old Lyle Gun. They were used for firing a line to/over a vessel in distress for a breeches buoy shoreside rescue. Anyone think of any sources?🤔

Not sure it would be a cheap venture considering the size of the junk of brass/bronze...

The steel blank that I have would not lend to a lyle gun. It would, however work for a small artillery piece or naval gun. A naval carriage would somehow seem appropriate! I'm trying to find pics of it and will include when I do. I would greatly appreciate any input. The person who gave it to me has made a couple, but I'm unable to contact. It needs to be contoured on a lathe a breech made/installed and trunions put on.

Having looked at the prices of a Lyle gun (& there were two outside the door of Station Duluth, when I was there 'in the day'). Building one may not be so cost prohibitive 😯

You should look into scale sized mortars. Simplicity keeps the price affordable. The pin it sits on is in a drilled through hole. The trunnion mounts to look good and be functional really increase the cost.

What size is your steel blank?

Back