Lyle Guns

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

artkodiak

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Having spent a career in the USCG, it occurs to me that it would be a kick to get ahold of an old Lyle Gun. They were used for firing a line to/over a vessel in distress for a breeches buoy shoreside rescue. Anyone think of any sources?🤔

sawyer04

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Ever think about building one? May be not as far fetched as it sounds, especially considering the prices.

artkodiak

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Not sure it would be a cheap venture considering the size of the junk of brass/bronze...

artkodiak

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I currently have a steel 'barrel/blank' to turn and put a breech into...

Davey Boy

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The light house museum that was started by Ken Black in Rockland Maine would surely have an original.

I see no reason they wouldn't let you copy it

artkodiak

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The steel blank that I have would not lend to a lyle gun. It would, however work for a small artillery piece or naval gun. A naval carriage would somehow seem appropriate! I'm trying to find pics of it and will include when I do. I would greatly appreciate any input. The person who gave it to me has made a couple, but I'm unable to contact. It needs to be contoured on a lathe a breech made/installed and trunions put on.

artkodiak

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Having looked at the prices of a Lyle gun (& there were two outside the door of Station Duluth, when I was there 'in the day'). Building one may not be so cost prohibitive 😯

Davey Boy

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
You should look into scale sized mortars. Simplicity keeps the price affordable. The pin it sits on is in a drilled through hole. The trunnion mounts to look good and be functional really increase the cost.

What size is your steel blank?