• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lucky for 3 successful hunts so far because...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
...my Flintlocks are sidelined for the moment.

Took a bad fall coming out of the woods through a wet / muddy / slippery swamp Friday night.
Jammed my right foot down into a hole and major hyper-extended the front half of my right foot.
All my weight on the toes bent up back towards the instep.
Pain level and swelling has been very bad all weekend.
(In spite of eating Ibuprofen like candy)
Impossible to sleep Friday & Saturday nights.
(no comfortable position that didn't add to the pain)
Swelling increased dramatically over the weekend, now seems to have peaked.
I removed the inner sole from an LLBean slipper to have something that would fit on the foot.
Wife drove me to a Bone & Joint medical facility today for X-ray & assessment.

The Good News:
"...No bones broken....very slight indication of a ligament beginning to tear...but it'll heal OK without a cast, etc”¦”
The Bad News:
“”¦stay off it a couple weeks, then go easy for a couple weeks to avoid re-injuring it..."
( a.k.a. like trying to drag out a deer )

Very ironic that this injury should happen on the ground like this.
When I hit 60, I decided I’d manage / reduce the risk of falls / injury by no longer using tiny Loc-On tree stands.
Started using some ground blinds and ladder stands.
When I hit 66 I even stopped using ladder stands, went to ground blinds exclusively.
So I'd dodged the injury bullet for decades and had zero risk of injuries from any elevated stands.

Then this happens just walking out of the woods.
:shake:

Time to recruit a youngun for dragging out duty. :wink:
Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear about your injury. I always enjoy reading your posts and hope that you will be posting more positive accounts of your adventures in the near future.
Ken

Sitting here thinking about all this...deer season is over Jan 1st. If I'm going to be house bound until middle of the month, and then have to still take it easy for a couple weeks, I'm beginning to wonder if trying to deer hunt the last 2 weeks might be more trouble than it's worth, particularly if after dark I have to go try and get somebody to come back and help drag a deer out.
Maybe I should just put the .58cal & deer hunting stuff away...get everything set up to take the 28ga for a couple sits for squirrels the latter half of the month...a lot easier to drag out, LOL.

Bummer, for sure. You'll be back at it before you know, even if it drives you crazy in the meantime. That injury could happen at any age and beats a fall out of a tree stand. Hang in there and get well!

Bad luck, but take care about pressing it too hard on the back end. You don't need a setback. Squirrel hunting is a great fallback!

Sorry to read this Roundball!

I would suggest doing what the doc says, at least, mostly. :haha:

Sometimes sneaking out for a hunt before being "cleared" is good medicine. Just saying. :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief.

Why not use your .36 cal.TC for mr. bushy tail. No pellets to contend with out of the pot.

Used to use my .40cal, but no longer use PRB's for squirrels up in trees where I hunt them now...#4's / #5's

Oh, sorry to hear this.
Good that nothing is broken.

Speedy recovery!
It's hard - maybe take out a good book and read a little about hunting, at least to nip the peak off of the crave.

Silex

For short term sanity, it might be a good time to take up a new enterprise, whether in support of your muzzleloading or not. I do lots of leatherwork when there's no hunting on the horizon, but that's just me.

Yes, and luckily I have it covered...serious Nature & Wildlife Photography is my main year round hobby...the bad news is this time of year is relatively slim pickings as far as volumes of various flowers, volumes of birds, etc...but scenics are still fair game...there will still be some good weather pretty sunsets at a local lake and so on.
:)

Excellent! I'm a has-been nature photog. I fell off the wagon three years back when we sold our photo business, but I'm feeling the nudge to get back into it on a purely recreational level.

No new cameras or lenses, but the prospect of "focus stacking" is pulling me. Here is an example with closeups, and here is one of the software solutions. New turf for a couple of old photo geezers, I know, but pretty interesting addition for times when walking around is limited.

Mods- Sorry for the deflection into non-muzzleloading photography, but the technique will be really useful for folks providing photos to the site.

I have a set of Miopular (SP)lenses for my Minolta SRT 101 that would take a close up of just the eye of the Dragon Fly !! Nice pictures,,

Back