• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lubricant hole?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the years I have seen rifles with a hole in the stock. Never gave it much thought as I figured it was for some type of lubricant. Now I'm curious, what type of lubricant's, if that is what it's for, was used. Something that would not run out during hot weather, bee's wax and bear grease??
Thanks for your replies Packrat

Most tallows would not run out even in very warm weather. They will get very soft though. I would imagine a little wax may have been added during those warm months.

The consensus is that a patch was left in the hole to "cover" the grease. At least that is what a couple old timers told me. These guys were shooting Their Dad's-Granddad's original rifles back in the 60's.

Back