• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubing Minnies??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dip mine cold and use a push through sizer after they have cooled. Every few bullets I take a knife blade and scrape the lube off the top of the die and drop it into the sauce pan.

I did try pan lubing but after everything cooled and I began to break them from the cake I found it often pulled the lube out of the grooves so I gave up.

I had the same experience leaving Miniés in the pan until cold. Hot dipping is surely cleaner but I don’t have a good idea how much lube is needed. Should the rings be full or just coated?

Re. dipping Minies cold - I have always lived with the slight mess that happens when the sizing die shaves off excess lube. I just scrape it off the sizing die and re-melt it to lube the next batch.

Never tried warming the bullets. That's an intersting idea. How warm do you get them?

You can brush lube on but it will be time consuming, much more trouble than dipping. I think I only did that once and then went to dipping. You must have a lot of patience to brush it on. I also brush it on Sharps bullets - after putting them in the cartridge tubes - but that explains why I don't make much Sharps ammo.

The last time I hot-lubed my Miniés was during cold weather. I let them and my lube just warm up on top of the wood stove. I could pick up the bullets but not hold onto them for long. I used needle nose pliers to dip them. I’m down to my last couple of dozen so I’ve got to cast more.

The lube I’ve been using is about one part mutton tallow to four parts beeswax. I haven’t yet tried different ratios but I’m thinking of trying 50-50 like some others do who have commented to see if my accuracy improves.

BTW, I use a Lyman 575-213OS (it drops about a 577 bullet) for my Parker Hale Enfield sized to 575. I have two Mirokus, an 1861 and an 1863 Springfield. The 575-213 is too small for either one so I use a Rapine mold that is very similar in appearance to the Lyman. (I forgot the size and I’m not home where I can look.) It casts a 581 bullet that I size to 579. I’ve only fired my original 1861 Springfield a couple of times but it seems to like the Rapine Miniés also.

TFoley, did you ever know a 14-15 year old boy, with all those old geezers around, that would admit that he even noticed the recoil? This kid didn't know better, but sure wasn't gonna complain to anyone. I just thought it was normal. Lucky I didn't develop a flinch.
I did have one of those other firearms that was used for elephant hunting. Same as with the Springfield, just lean into the shot a bit. My paratrooper pal that went to the range with me sang all the way about "Blood on the Risers", or some such. Then all the way back, he complained that his shoulder was bruised. heck, even had a young lady fire it, no problems.
Usually I concentrate so hard on the shot that I rarely even notice the noise, much less the recoil. Getting older now though!

I use a push through sizer die like the one shown. I size my Minies to .576" for my Parker-Hale 1858 rifle. I use the plastic tubes and load them with 45 grains of Goex FFFg powder. I insert the Minies nose down and then heat some MCM lube to the melting point. I dip the Minie until the rings are coated. I set them aside until cool and put them in an ammo can, using loading blocks.

Glad to see you made that distinction. There are lots of folks who say their gun is accurate but when you get into their definition of accuracy, things go off the rails fast. In your case, you were just able to fire a bunch of shots. I'd bet good money that your gun is capable of far better accuracy.

FWIW- "Zouave" is a misnomer for 1863 Remington as the musket was never widely issued, especially to the "Zouave" units in Federal service. Even so, the originals and even most of the repops are known to be great shooters with a bit of load development.
I was able to hit a good size rock at around 100 yds. that is fun for me

Yup, what they said!
KIMG1654.JPG

Well the old saying that you can't beat success. Anyway, for me I tried the crisco in the hollow and it worked great, no swabbing. Before doing that I had to swab after everyother shot and accuracy was not so good especially with the 440g minie that is very under sized. But crisco in the hollow solved all problems.

I'm way too poor to afford one of Signore Pedersoli's spiffy sizers - maybe when I win the lottery, eh? I've 'liked' every recipe above, and why not? They all work for the person who uses them. Having a saddler in our village means that I get as much Neat's foot oil as I could ever need, same goes for our half a dozen beekeepers. So bee's wax and NFO - 70/30, or whatever.

Works for me, and not having your huge range of temperatures helps, too, of course...;)
Does the sizer lube also?

Latest posts

Back