• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubing Lee REALs-what am I doing wrong?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I do is rub my lube, 50/50 beeswax and lamb tallow, onto the bullet until the grooves are filled. Works good for the REAL bullets and the minieballs that I cast as well. Works for me.

Attachments

• 20210901_130049.jpg
    20210901_130049.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 46
What I do is rub my lube, 50/50 beeswax and lamb tallow, onto the bullet until the grooves are filled. Works good for the REAL bullets and the minieballs that I cast as well. Works for me.

I do the same with reals and maxi balls. That and a lubed wad seem to work and fouling is kept manageable. Reals shoot well in some rifles, maxis shoot well in my tc rifles. Ball shoots well in some of my rifles. Fiddle around and see what works.

You can trace the name, "ball ammo", back to lead round balls, but while military ammo may be called ball ammo, it is no longer related to a round lead ball. The name wasn't changed because tradition is so important to military thinking.
"Ball" ammo in unmentionables to me has always been a projectile without an exposed core at the tip but I'm former military so what do I know.

wm

Lanolin will make your lube "sticky" and will hold on to the bullet. Used to use a touch of lanolin in my lube for Minies when I shot Enfields. Wax, Crisco, and lanolin (was called Wool grease).

Now I just smear Maxis or REALS with bore butter just before loading.

ADK Bigfoot

Last edited:
if you want to save money on Lee alox go online and search xlox same thing in 32 ouz bottlesat a fraction of the cost i lube my lee reals all of my unlubed maxi balls have gotten this treatment and old maxis with old lube i stripped the old lube off i put a hundred or so in a tupperware bowl with lib as stated squirt some on top and shake them or tumble them once they are throughoughly lubed take them out sit upright on wax paper or whatever you have available that lube works well

if you want to save money on Lee alox go online and search xlox same thing in 32 ouz bottlesat a fraction of the cost i lube my lee reals all of my unlubed maxi balls have gotten this treatment and old maxis with old lube i stripped the old lube off i put a hundred or so in a tupperware bowl with lib as stated squirt some on top and shake them or tumble them once they are throughoughly lubed take them out sit upright on wax paper or whatever you have available that lube works well
I think you are talking about the White Label Lube Company.
Great folks. I have been doing business with them for a couple of decades.
Great products. Honest business.
https://lsstuff.com/

Back to the original question -
I just dip lube mine. Warm lube until just turns molten.
Dip the colder bullet up to the shoulder above the top ring, let it cool for 10 seconds or so - then dip again.
I place it in a loading block I drilled in a short piece of 2X4, it will hold a couple of dozen. It fits nicely into my range box.
For hunting use, I put a few of them into a plastic tube and drop them into my shoulder bag.

Back to the original question -
I just dip lube mine. Warm lube until just turns molten.
Dip the colder bullet up to the shoulder above the top ring, let it cool for 10 seconds or so - then dip again.
I place it in a loading block I drilled in a short piece of 2X4, it will hold a couple of dozen. It fits nicely into my range box.
For hunting use, I put a few of them into a plastic tube and drop them into my shoulder bag.
I use to dip them. I put the lube in a really small crock pot and chilled the bullets in a freezer so the lube cooled instantly. Crock had a lid so I just put the lid on when done to keep the melt clean.

I think you are talking about the White Label Lube Company.
Great folks. I have been doing business with them for a couple of decades.
Great products. Honest business.
https://lsstuff.com/
yes sir Mr.Grizz if not mistaken 5 or 6 years ago when new to the forumn you mentioned Xlox to me and it is white label company the stuff works for me i stopped pan lubing and tumble lube or should i say shake lube

The lubed wad will work without hassling with lubing the bullet.
Olive oil on the wad, get it started in the muzzle, top with unlubed bullet and stuff it down. The wad lubricates the bore on the way in and on the way out keeping fouling easy to deal with.

wm

Do you get leading in the barrel with no lube on the bullet ?

After many years of casting and shooting for target and productive hunting, the best thing I have found to do with REAL's,,
Is throw them back in the pot and cast round ball instead.
It's simple, the Rifling, Engaged, At, Loading, projectile has never really worked well. They are all dimension-ally too small for caliber to function as intended for most current production rifles.
If you want/need heavy hitters for caliber or long range, the REAL is not the best choice.
You will waste time with disappointment and money, trying to get them to function in an accurate and consistent manner.
Good luck friend,,
I experienced just the opposite.
I dip lubed with carnauba-beeswax-olive and used an overpowder punched disc of material from a LEE mold box and dipped in Erics red.
After working up from 70gr to 100gr - I was easily able to keep a 2-2.5" group on paper at 100 yards shooting from a Pedersoli .58 Safari twin barrel rifle.
Wiping only between 5 shot groups so as to start clean for each charge weight tested. Results were excellent.
20210916_144842.jpg

The best Bullet Lube i have ever used, and Swear by is Bullshop NASA, it will Hold to your Bullet, and is perfect the way it comes For shallow groove bullets such as the Lee R.E.A.L.

“Side Note” I am not a fan of Lee R.E.A.L. Bullets, I have tried them in .50 & .54 Cal, I had Bad, to mediocre Luck with them and gave up on em

For my personal use, through a LOT of testing, This is my Twist on Bullshop‘s NASA. This is to 1 Full Pound of NASA Lube, Just the way it comes from Bullshop. In a Double Boiler setup, or a Make shift one. Melt the 1 pound of NASA Lube, Then ad 2 of the little Bottles of Stihl HP Ultra Synthetic 2 Stroke Engine Oil (These are the 2.6 FL OZ Bottles, For making 1 Gallon of Mixed Fuel) Stir the Stihl HP Ultra in REALLY Good, Set aside and let cool. Simple as that

I have NO affiliation with Bullshop. I am a customer. This is how my NASA Lube arrived from Bullshop

Ma7qTMI.jpg

This is the Stihl HP Ultra Full Synthetic 2 Stroke Oil i use. This stuff works INCREDIBLE at Combatting Bore Leading. It will STOP, or at Least GREATLY Reduce Leading. In my Polished Bores i get ZERO Leading

WcGGR2U.jpg

When i say Double Boiler setup, or Make shift one, this is what i use. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT That you use a Double Boiler Setup, You can EASILY Scorch the Lube on Direct Heat. I simply place Jar Ringers inside an Old Designated Pot, Ad water til it just covers the Ringers

zPOxIqK.jpg

Now ad your Lube Pan, It will sit on the Jar Ringer Lids. I use Medium heat, maybe a little more, Just under a Boil of the Water
CJUUahO.jpg

Back