• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lubing homemade patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife uses moose milk. She puts her patches in a plastic bag that is inside a leather bag. She pours in moose milk until the patches are wet. At the range, she reaches in and pulls a patch that is ready to go down the bore.

My method works as follows: Cut my patches with a sharpened hole cutter. Place twenty to twenty five patches on a piece of cardboard. Put a dab of bore butter in the middle of each patch. Put in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. The lube will melt and spread across the patches. They will be hot to the touch. Then I pile up the patches in a stack and put them between the jaws of a Quick Grip bar clamp and squeeze. In a minute or two, the lube is equally distributed throughout the whole pile, edge to edge. Any excess is squeezed out for re-use. Put the lubed patches in a pharmacy bill bottle and cap. Twenty five is about the right number for a range visit or match. Repeat until finished.

ADK Bigfoot

I used it before, I would melt it and then soak the strips of patch material real good and then put in an old meat tenderizer roller system w/o the blades so its just going through the rubber rollers. I ran through twice and consistency seemed the same. Gotta work fast as they tend to wannna dry quick (at least here at 15% humidity). NOTE: I dont use bore butter for patches anymore except for my CVA bobcat .36 which will not shoot ANYTHING else accurately (and these at super duper saturated!).

Cut two long strips of pillow ticking. Roll them, put them in a plastic prescription bottle. Melt my beeswax and mix in olive oil. Pour the mixture into the bottle until the strips are covered, pour excess out, let cool. When cooled, I scrape the excess, now solidified, lube off the strips with a knife. Keep the excess lube for next time, roll the strips back up and put them back in the bottle. Works for me!

My wife uses moose milk. She puts her patches in a plastic bag that is inside a leather bag. She pours in moose milk until the patches are wet. At the range, she reaches in and pulls a patch that is ready to go down the bore.
THATS a good idea for wiping out between shots I LIKE the plastic bag trick
Melt your lube to a liquid,

NICE way but i was wanting faster.i make a 100 in ten minutes

My method works as follows: Cut my patches with a sharpened hole cutter. Place twenty to twenty five patches on a piece of cardboard. Put a dab of bore butter in the middle of each patch. Put in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. The lube will melt and spread across the patches. They will be hot to the touch. Then I pile up the patches in a stack and put them between the jaws of a Quick Grip bar clamp and squeeze. In a minute or two, the lube is equally distributed throughout the whole pile, edge to edge. Any excess is squeezed out for re-use. Put the lubed patches in a pharmacy bill bottle and cap. Twenty five is about the right number for a range visit or match. Repeat until finished.

ADK Bigfoot
THATS a great way ..i like this its faster.and thats what iam doing with a holesaw that i took the teeth off by grinding then sharpened it.POUNDING it through folded material into a stump of soft wood.

I use a hole punch ($12 on Amazon) in a drill press, punch wads out of 1/8" wool felt and soak them in olive oil. A little messy to use but what isn't in this corner of the shooting sports? Keep a hand towel around. They get stored in small ziplocks and work very well in keeping fouling soft. The rifle is very accurate using them as overpowder wads under a R.E.A.L.

wm

I use a hole punch ($12 on Amazon) in a drill press, punch wads out of 1/8" wool felt and soak them in olive oil. A little messy to use but what isn't in this corner of the shooting sports? Keep a hand towel around. They get stored in small ziplocks and work very well in keeping fouling soft. The rifle is very accurate using them as overpowder wads under a R.E.A.L.

wm
YEAH thats a good idea..i have it down to doing ALOT in a few minutes.I got some great ideas from here

ADK Bigfoot
[/QUOTE

When I used to pre-lube strips, I would melt the lube in a pan run the strip through the pan out on to a cutting board and squeegee the excess off with a rubber spatula. I would hold the spatula edge firmly against the strip and pull the strip through with my other hand. Hang them until the lube set and then roll them up. That method worked really well.
I have since abandoned grease or oil based lubes because of the mess. In the field I spit patch, at the range I use a little dawn in water in a small spray bottle. Was given that advice by a Champion shooter, shoots clean all day, no need to swab.

Anyone know a good way to add a thin amount of bore butter to 100s of patches all at once?
I use to melt bore butter in the microwave and lube up the patches, but switched to moose milk after seeing bore butter patches smoldering in the grass. I don't want no fire starting by me in warm weather. Still use bore butter in the winter. Several replies posted that have good advice.

With any greasy/oily lube, I work it in by hand. I only cut at the muzzle from strips. I get a good amount of lube on a strip and knead it by hand. I try and get as much lube in the fabric as I possibly can without it being soaking, dripping wet. I then repeat until I have as many strips as I think I can shoot that day. Finally I put all strips together, and roll them up and roll it a few times in my hands. This lets the lube equalize between the strips, in theory all strips should have equal amount of lube in them. I would estimate it takes 5 minutes to do a days worth of patching. It works for me.

Anyone know a good way to add a thin amount of bore butter to 100s of patches all at once?
Well I try and keep things as simple as I can. I simply melt my lube, which ever I am using at the time, and with a pair of large twizers or weinnie tongs, I dip a rolled up strip of patching material in the lube. I squeeze out the excess lube and place the roll on a piece of paper towel to dry. I then either cut them in squares or cut at the muzzle. Works for me !

Wow lots of good ideas here. I think rafterrob has the one I’m going to try. Dawn soap and water in a spray bottle. Really gave this topic much thought until this thread.

Latest posts

Back