• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lubed patch in the field

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I usually string a bunch of precut patches on a string and tie the string to my shooting bag.
In the field I strip off a patch and put it in my mouth while loading powder and so I have a spit patch ready when loading the ball.

My question for you lube guys is, when doing a woods walk or hunting with patches lubed in say mink or olive oil how to you carry your patches so they are ready....your not getting oil all over everything.....and your not fumbling around with little containers and dropping stuff etc.

At the bench is a different story, but how do you do it when your away from the bench with a bag slung under your arm, curiosity has me wondering what I am missing, there must be an efficient clean way of doing this.

I use a loading block for greased/oiled patches.

friendship-9-14-026.jpg

Check the accessories for sale section. Several members offer them.

I cheat, I use speedloaders, whereby my powder/patch and ball are ready to go in one quick push of my short starter. I only hunt with a ML for deer, so I want to be sure to be as quick /humane if necessary with a 2nd shot if needed.

I cheat, I use speedloaders, whereby my powder/patch and ball are ready to go in one quick push of my short starter. I only hunt with a ML for deer, so I want to be sure to be as quick /humane if necessary with a 2nd shot if needed.
I also use the speedloaders. nothing can harm the load even weather doesn't bother them. I do carry extra patches and supplies depending on what I am doing. I use a percusion cap tin to put my patches in a nice safe place with no bother of them getting messed up.

I carry a Secrets or Altoid tin (jappened) with say 30 lubed patches (olive oil) and a half dozen ball in it as well. After pouring a powder charge I can just reach into the bag and grab the tin and pick up a ball and patch. The tin rides on top of everything in my bag and is the quickest easist way I've found. I also keep one of my cleaning jags in the tin in case I want to run a wet patch down the bore.

Not all have patch boxes and eventually the sliding wooden lids wear out and get lost. If your shooting a lot you should find alternative ways.

Right, at the range it would make sense not to use it, but OP was talking about "In the field" most people only hunt a few times a year.

Staying reasonably HC I can see where the loading blocks would work....

But does the loading block squeeze the oil/lube off the patch?
Does the oil get rubbed off the patch and on to everything around it.

Just wondering what you guys have found and what alternatives there may be....staying mostly HC.

Right, at the range it would make sense not to use it, but OP was talking about "In the field" most people only hunt a few times a year.
So was I, I hunt with mine year round (varmits) so would wear a patch box out in short time, it's one of the main reasons I use a tin and the tin is much faster when chasing squirrels with the dogs.

Ball block is the best "traditional" method, otherwise some sort of speedloader. Kind of like short starters though, I am not sure ball blocks are HC. Maybe someone has some documentation regarding this.

I just keep lubed patches in a tin when doing a club shoot / woods walk. Our club shoots aren't timed and getting my patches from a tin hasn't caused me to hold up the line. I have a powder measure and capper hanging around my neck and my shooting bag holds a RB bag, short starter, palm saver, and a BP flask.

I carry them the same when hunting but do have a couple TC 4-in-1 speed loaders in my bag ready to go just in case I have a rare occurrence of needing a "fast" follow up shot. I find the worry of a fast follow up shot being needed to be a very very rare occurrence (timber mostly). I either hit them good or miss them completely for whatever reason. I've never had one stand around after that loud bang either way, so I just reload and will usually swab too because I want to give them a little time anyway before taking up the trail.

Depending on which gun i’m shooting i will use loading blocks or precut patches in a tin. I use mink tallow or Frontiers Bear paws lubes. With the loading blocks i don’t get lube all over me, also i don’t over lube the patches. After a day of hunting i will check the patch and if need be i can always apply more lube.

In the field (heavy woods here in Ozark forests) I simply tie a strip of pre-lubed ticking to the strap of my shooting bag and use that. Have used loading blocks but prefer the strip method.

Back