• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubed patch in the field

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hunt small game w/ an ugly .40 cal. Eastern Mtn. rifle , and it serves up stacked , thinly greased patches nicely from a grease hole in the butt stock. Gotta love the simplicity. My problem though , is a case of 74 yr. old fumble fingers. I use a bullet board for that reason on the hunt...............oldwood

Deer hunter only, I carry patches lubed with mink oil in a 35mm film container. I carry a second one with balls, both in my bag. It may take many days until I need a second shot. Speed of loading has never been an issue if a second shot is needed.
In the containers the patches stay dry and the balls dont rattle. If I were hunting small game I'd be using a loading block.

i use a empty #11 primer tin for prelubed patches. most of the time i just have a strip of material hanging from my mouth getting moist.
YUP - since I shoot a very wide variety of stuff - I stay prepared - prelubed with mink from TOTW. Very handy and small enough to be taken in your hunting bag.
20211023_163032.jpg

I have a few ways. I keep a couple straps of ticking tied to the bag. Lube it before heading out. Also carry a few empty(cleaned) Skoal cans with dry or lubed patches. And sometimes carry a tin of solid lube as well. Just whatever I feel like. I don't do speedloaders simply because with big game(southeastern big game) one shot is enough. When I shoot a deer or pig I'm not metaphorically racking another round into the chamber quick like. I'm just waiting for them to die for sure for a few minutes. That might sound bragadocious, but so far I've been lucky not to have to chase. Also, I'm not taking more than 10 roundballs into the woods for real hunting. At best I could see me using 1-5 if I killed two deer and broke my leg than needed to fire three signal shots.:oops::p

Really whatever works best for you. I do carry little stainless pill carriers for premeasured smoothbore shot. They are amazingly convenient. Unless you are running they don't rattle despite the material. Available at Wally world.

Back