• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubed maxiballs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the period correct plastic speed loader tubes.
Walk
I used the period correct loaders also (Robert Redford as Jeremiah Johnson, Mountain Man period, probably early 1970s -1980), but always found the lube messy. These were made by Uncle Mikes, and fit the conical or round ball rather snug. Also held powder charge and percussion cap. Didn't use them for very long.
upload_2019-11-6_16-7-15.jpeg

Tried wrapping in wax paper, but didn’t care for how that worked.

Only conicals I shoot today are paper patched in 45 caliber. To protect the paper I found these plastic things (the kind of thing we don’t discuss here) that fit tight over the PP bullet and then drop into 1/2” inside diameter tube. They keep the paper in place and the bullets from banging into each other and the bullet is easily removed to load. Might work with a lubed bullet.

Not much of a conical user, but how about a bullet board thick enough to cover the full length of the bullet? Would work just like a ball board.

Once you lube maxiballs, how do you carry them in the woods

I carry a small tin of lube and keep 1 or 2 lubed maxi balls in the tin the rest of the balls I keep un-lubed until they are needed..
Some guys like to pan lube the balls, but I prefer to lube mine 1 or 2 at a time, cuts down on the mess and dirt contamination.
Some guys like to tumble lube.
It's all personal preference.

Those are nice but I'm too much a DIY guy. My mind's eye is seeing a 3/4" board with caliber sized holes in it. Lubed bullets are pushed in and fully covered. Board thrown into the shooting bag or pocket or whatever you prefer.

Those are nice but I'm too much a DIY guy. My mind's eye is seeing a 3/4" board with caliber sized holes in it. Lubed bullets are pushed in and fully covered. Board thrown into the shooting bag or pocket or whatever you prefer.

Have you tried it, how did it work out ?
I tried it once, without a patch to hold the maxi ball in the board they have a tendency to slip out especially since they are lubed. Then there's the dirt issue, it was a major dirt magnet. If you make the hole tight enough to securely hold the ball you end up slightly sizing it. Then there's the sheer bulk of the item. I ended up scrapping it, right into the wood stove, went to a tin.
For years I carried them in the plastic containers that store bought Maxi's originally came in, until I wore it out.

If you strain your reading comprehension and re read my post you would know that I have not tried it.

Welcome to the "ignore" list.

Back