• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubed Bullet Storage Box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting ready to pan lube some maxiballs for the first time.
I use to buy them prelubed but got a bunch of unlubed ones. I have read up on the pan lube method and think I am good on that part.

I was wondering about storing them afterwards. I would like some boxes like the originals came like the picture but I welcome any idea to kind of protect the bullet and lube while storing aand transporting the completed bullets.
What do you guys use?
78YJC1pl.jpg

Thanks! I have been reloading pistol and rifle rounds since 1976 and I looked through all the boxes I have and so far I have not hit on anything.
If I find one that the holes will fit .58 caliber the box is way too deep but I am still looking and trying!

justfrank, I hit the Post Reply button too soon when I attached the link, so didn't get my comment in. I was thinking about using the 9mm box and cutting out dividers to combine four 9mm diameter holes into one .70 diameter hole.

That is an idea. My wood working skills are lacking but thinking of something like a wood loading block you use when loading handgun or rifle bullets. Drill the holes to correct size and deep enough to protect lube. Maybe an idea!

I have used all manner of plastic and tin boxes re-purposed. I used to use the ones "Sucrets" Lozenges came in years ago, and have used similar plastic ones since. I never had a problem in them touching one another, just don't leave them in a warm spot where the lube will melt. If you are concerned about separation, You can make cardboard dividers as mentioned above.

My advice is, don't pre-lube them in quantity numbers. only in small amounts like the original boxes. They are easier to store and will keep better if un-lubed. Lube them as you need them.

I also prefer a soft lube for maxi-balls Pan lubing works great if you are loading them into metallic cartridges, but when shooting a muzzleloader and loading maxi-balls it's nice to have soft lube to keep the powder fouling soft so they don't begin to get hard to load.
I don't like sticking one half way down the barrel.

What Carbon 6 said. If the bullets are not used right away, either the lube gets old and or collects dust and dirt. You need a air tight box like a plastic cartridge ammo box or other plastic box.

Without airtight storage, your lubes will dry out. Lube a reasonable amount (based on your shooting habits) and keep the rest dry. An evening lubing new bullets in anticipation of going shooting is far more enjoyable than pulling out your old lubed bullets to find the lube is stiff or falling out of the grooves. Ask me how I know...

ADK Bigfoot

An evening lubing new bullets in anticipation of going shooting is far more enjoyable than pulling out your old lubed bullets to find the lube is stiff or falling out of the grooves. Ask me how I know...
I know, Been there, done that. :thumb:

If you have used speer pistol bullets, those boxes will seal tight enough to keep the bullet lube from drying out for quite some time. Midway sells plastic boxes that similar to the Speer bullet boxes, and there are pistol cartridge boxes that will snap shut. But it is much better to lube what you will need as you need.

Latest posts

Back