• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am just about out of my Lehigh Valley Lube. This was the best lube I've ever used. I kept my muzzleloaders lubed with it and never had a rust problem, even letting them sit after firing them for weeks without cleaning. When working up paper cartridges for my smoothie I got 15 shots before even starting to feel resistance. I don't know if anybody else had the same performance as I did, but I am not looking forward to being without it. Does anybody have experience with their lube that would work as good as this? I would appreciate any suggestions. THANKS

Thanks for the replies, I have a tin of beef tallow and bees wax that I made up a while back it fouls a lot quicker than LV lube. I am going to try to to add a little olive oil to see if thinning it out will help.

I am just about out of my Lehigh Valley Lube. This was the best lube I've ever used. I kept my muzzleloaders lubed with it and never had a rust problem, even letting them sit after firing them for weeks without cleaning. When working up paper cartridges for my smoothie I got 15 shots before even starting to feel resistance. I don't know if anybody else had the same performance as I did, but I am not looking forward to being without it. Does anybody have experience with their lube that would work as good as this? I would appreciate any suggestions. THANKS

1 part Ballistol to 6 or 7 parts water works well as a patch lube (just shy of dripping) in my smoothbores (patched RB) and rifles. Stumpy's Moose Snot, which you can easily make, is another choice. The first requires no wiping at all; the second allows a quick swabbing after 5 - 10 shots, depending on powder brand, granulation, and charge, and ambient humidity.

You could also try a mix of castor oil or neatsfoot oil and denatured alcohol. You can mix at one part of oil to 5 parts of alcohol. or reduce the percentage of alcohol to a lube that you like. The thinner lubes can be allowed to evaporate into your patch lube or use as mixed. I like Barricade as the long term rust inhibiting lubricant for storage.

Emmert's Improved Lube
This is an organic non petroleum lube for use with Black Powder or smokeless.

This recipe is from a post on the Castboolits forum, posted by Hip's Ax:
“I've had better luck with my Emmert's with lanolin than I have with SPG.
The original Buck Emmert's lube is modified with the addition of anhydrous lanolin, it is still simple and easy to make”.

Formula by % & Ingredients by weight, use a digital kitchen scale
Beeswax - 50% 567.50 grams weighed on a kitchen digital scale
Crisco shortening - 40% 454.00 grams (unsalted variety an entire 1 lb. brick)
Olive oil - 5% 56.75 grams (Next time use Jojoba oil or no oil & increase the lanolin)
Anhydrous lanolin + 5% +56.75 grams
100% 1135.00 grams total weight of lube made (1.135 kg).

The gram quantities verified by mathematics:
50% of 1135g = 567.5g 40% of 1135g = 454g 5% of 1135g = 56.75g
Heat double boiler fashion and use a digital thermometer, immerse the probe to monitor melting temperatures.
High temp will scorch the lube ingredients which will ruin the lube for its intended purpose.
Use as little heat as you can to melt the ingredients in the double boiler.
Stir continuously until ingredients are well blended.
- Heat the Olive oil to 145 °F
- Add the Crisco in small pieces.
- Add the beeswax last, it melts about 144 °F to 147 °F (it scorches and discolours at 185°F)
Turn off the heat and let the mix cool down. Lanolin melts at ~100 °F and scorches at 150 °F.
- Add the lanolin when the temp has dropped below 145 °F
Pour hot liquid lube into the 1”x4” stick mold or soak patches. This quantity of lube made ~24 sticks.
Lanolin is a high temp, high pressure lube, it's very sticky which helps the lube to stick to the bullet and keeps the fouling softer than the SPG.
This Lanolin improved version of Emmerts lube also makes it better for pan lubing bullets.
This lube looks, feels, smells like SPG.
(It is rumoured that SPG may contain mutton fat, a mealy fat that is probably the cheapest to buy).
Next time I make this lube I’ll add a tsp. of pure carnauba wax and use Jojoba oil instead of EVOO.
Jojoba oil is a higher temperature vegetable seed oil.

I got 3 bottles of LVL...i don’t even use it for patch lube. I use it for wipe’n down the metal parts of the gun.

Now for lube i use TOTW mink tallow and good ole copenhagen wintergreen spit. Both work great👍 I will say though most of the time i will send a moistened patch down between shots.

Being the lazy sort I don't mix up any ingredients to get (maybe) the same quality lube I buy unless it is absolutely necessary. That means TOW mink oil for hunting and Hoppes #9 BP Lube. I don't like having to swab the bore until after I pack it in for the day. Barricade protects the bores on my guns; but I've also had excellent protection when using "BreakFree CLP".

Back