• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lube pills and a lube pill punch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t get too hung up on wad size. Even square ones work just fine.
Whichever shape or size you use It probably helps if they are all the same size.

Cutting out your own felt wads and lubing them is pretty easy, and less messy to use.
OK, I guess I need to repeat this again -
The match I made this for REQUIRES a seal over the ball on revolvers.
I have already stated this several times.

jojoba is pretty dang expensive to be using for bullet lube. We use it as an oil to use in soap making. (but that's for another thread - eh?)
Somebody recommended it as a substitute for sperm whale oil. (Even more expensive) it‘s fine but I use a lot more olive oil.

I remember reading in an outdoor magazine that the author dipped his round balls in molten beeswax. He made a simple pair of tongs from a clothes hanger , like a pair of tweezers, but with fine turned inward points to hold the balls. He said it worked well.

I remember reading in an outdoor magazine that the author dipped his round balls in molten beeswax. He made a simple pair of tongs from a clothes hanger , like a pair of tweezers, but with fine turned inward points to hold the balls. He said it worked well.

Do you recall if he did this instead of using a lubed fiber wad?

If I remember correctly, he just loaded the wax dipped ball. No other wads. He said it sealed the chambers and lubed the bore. I’ll look and see if I can find the article.

Found it! The author used cream of wheat on top of the powder for reduced loads, with full power loads, just the wax dipped ball. No wads at all, just the wax dipped ball. I’ve read the enfield rifled musket bullet was dipped in beeswax, so it might work......

Back