• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lube over ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wb78963

45 Cal.
Reaction score
the load is 25 grains FFFg, a felt lube wad, a .451" ball. I decided to do this test after the cylinder was loaded . The lube used is a lard and paraffin wax mix about the consistency of SPG.
As you can see the lubricant is blown away by gas escaping the barrel/cylinder gap, which is minimum. It also made a mess on the barrel to clean off.
This is why my preference is to use a lube wad under the ball. Some how I got the pictures out of order but you see my point. (new at this)
This is my experience however a man should do what he thinks is best
Load 'em heavy boys,
they air a'comin'
Bunk
one.JPG
two.JPG
three.JPG
four.JPG
the gun.JPG
one.JPGtwo.JPGthree.JPGfour.JPGthe gun.JPG

I use a lubed felt wad under a .451 round ball in my Pietta .44 revolver. After a day of shooting, clean-up time is easy. Fouling in the barrel is soft and easy to clean out with a patch and .45 calibre jag. Most parts go into the ultrasonic tub, with a little soap and hot water. The rest get wiped off with solvent and plenty of patches.

1 part beeswax to 2 parts crisco/lard over the ball in revolvers works well enough to win NRA and NMLRA National championships and set national records. But,...Us match shooters are only concerned about winning matches...c

I just dip my paper cartridge bullets in melted SPG to coat the entire bullet. No need to cram crisco into the cylinder tops with a popsicle stick. Makes loading less busy.

After observing most of the Crisco blow out on the first shot making a mess of the gun I switched to putting a drop of Cannabis oil (non THC) on top of each ball in the cylinder. Seems to work just fine in my revolvers and use it lube the wads for my Whitworth. The kindhearted Mrs. got me a big bottle of the stuff for my aches and pains but seems the stuff makes a better bullet lube than pain reliever. YMMV

1 part beeswax to 2 parts crisco/lard over the ball in revolvers works well enough to win NRA and NMLRA National championships and set national records. But,...Us match shooters are only concerned about winning matches...c
Hey, I'm happy if I hit the paper target. But seriously folks, I get good groups, I don't shoot competition anymore. I just want to have fun and smoke out the range, so the modern shooters can't see their targets.😁

After observing most of the Crisco blow out on the first shot making a mess of the gun I switched to putting a drop of Cannabis oil (non THC) on top of each ball in the cylinder. Seems to work just fine in my revolvers and use it lube the wads for my Whitworth. The kindhearted Mrs. got me a big bottle of the stuff for my aches and pains but seems the stuff makes a better bullet lube than pain reliever. YMMV

Your revolver probably gets hungry for more gunpowder and lead too!

Your lube mix is way too soft.
I use a much stiffer mix using beeswax and olive oil.
It keeps the caking in the barrel very soft and easy to clean up after a good day of shooting.
Hi there Griz.,
Since I load off the frame it is faster for me to drop powder stick in a wad and go to the next chamber.
But what ever works for you that lard wax 50:50 is what my wads are soaked in.
I have in the past had problems with canola oil sweating out of the wad and contaminating the powder
(that reads pull ball wash out mess change system).
Bang away brother and have fun.
Hold Center
Hit Center
Don't Look Surprised
Bunk

Hi NAS
I was a CAS shooter and all I wanted is for the gun to go bang five times every time. Minute of M1 Abrams tank is good enough for that fun.
Good luck at the championships and you need to squeeze every second of angle to compete in that rarefied atmosphere.
Hold Center
Hit Center
That is the Idea
Bunk

Just curious - but do your matches require lube over ball? I get mixed answers to that question and 2 matches I have shot did require it.
Neither match was NRA or NMLRA but were a local private range setting the rules.

Just curious - but do your matches require lube over ball? I get mixed answers to that question and 2 matches I have shot did require it.
Neither match was NRA or NMLRA but were a local private range setting the rules.

Don`t know.You might as well ask if powder or ball are required. Would have to change from No second place to "No place"...

Don`t know.You might as well ask if powder or ball are required. Would have to change from No second place to "No place"...

I don't think you understood my question.
Since you stated that you used a lube over the ball I was asking if that was a match requirement. Or was that simply your choice to load in that method.

I don't think you understood my question.
Since you stated that you used a lube over the ball I was asking if that was a match requirement. Or was that simply your choice to load in that method.

I do not see that in the rules but have seen some lower level competitors just use those wonder lube under ball discs. Asking some of our best about this they all said they know no high level winners not just using an over ball lube. My personal experiments with wonder lube discs results; 25 & 50 yard accuracy poor on match targets... Not enough lube to keep fouling soft for a dozen cylinders...No more or less easy to apply...Only use seems if only shooting large things like full chest target at 10-20 yards max...So worse than useless for my prefered type of shooting...

Back