• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lube for conical out of a rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys. I'm new. I got down the round ball and testing with that. Will practice and see what works best.
I have maxi ball and mini ball molds on the way. What is the 'cheap guy' 'easy' way to do a conical? My understanding is - powder, a wad, then a lubed bullet.
I'm not trying to win competitions, but what do guys use on the fly and on a budget for lubing them? If I can do some off-grid type stuff, that would be better. Like tallow, etc. Just some ideas would be helpful.
This is out of a TC Renegade Hunter 50cal single trigger. Barrel: 26” octagonal, 1:48 twist. Using RS.
Thanks.
I've even went down to the hardware store and picked up one of those toilet wax rings. It's a little stiff, but seems to work. I've also melted it 50-50 with beeswax.

"Nutnfancy". heh.... hey now...
I am already Sub'd to your YT channel, duelist1954 . Nice.

Sorry but that's not me. If I'd known there was a Nutnfancy on YT I'd called myself something else. Just found out about nutnfancy on Yt last week.
Guess I need to contact the MODS to see if I can change my name to avoid the confusion...................

lol. I figured man. When I first came to these forums last week, kinda made me think 'no way..... maybe... he did a BP video...' ha.
Looks like I need to find a jag that's just slightly smaller than 50cal to do that trick. Thanks man.

Since Mike used a .50 cal. jag in a .54 cal. barrel maybe a .45 cal. jag would work? If it's real tight it probably wouldn't hurt to use a little Olive oil, corn oil, something natural to lube. Be sure you clean the bore thoroughly when finished.

Last edited:
I also have one made from a piece of copper tubing that I have turned to a sharp edge, and chuck it up in my drill press with a soft piece of pine or a block of lead under it and it works just fine!

Here is what I did for a rough bore in a .54 cal. T/C Renegade and it worked;

Before doing this I could only load the gun twice, third time was really hard to get the ball down the barrel. So after second shot I would have to swab the barrel. After trying this method I could shoot 8 - 10 or more without having to swab the barrel.

thank you for posting MIKE, shooting out the burr's.

Since Mike used a .50 cal. jag in a .54 cal. barrel maybe a .45 cal. jag would work? If it's real tight it probably wouldn't hurt to use a little Olive oil, corn oil, something natural to lube. Be sure you clean the bore thoroughly when finished.
point well taking.

Using a minie ball I would skip the wad step, these should go directly on top of powder. These will also need to be slightly under bore size, 1 to 2 thousandths is the general recommendation. Sometimes you get lucky and the mold drops them the exact size you need, but sizers are often recommended for accuracy and consistency.

A simple lube to try is crisco and beeswax at a 50/50 ratio applied in the grooves. Other types of fat will work in the criscos place like tallow, lard and olive oil. But, the crisco is something you can find nearly anywhere. Some fill the hollow base with straight crisco and find that works, i'm afraid of powder contamination on a hot day with that method, but haven't tried it to give any real world experience.

You will probably find you need to adjust the amount of wax depending on which oil or fat you use and also for the ambient temp to avoid the big mess previously mentioned. You're still going to get dirty, its part of the fun! Most of these solid fats have low melt temps, like melt in your hand low.

People also use paraffin wax (usually easier to find locally than beeswax), soy wax, carnauba wax and other concoctions to harden the mix. The paraffin is said sometimes to be avoided because it is petroleum based, but I see it mentioned for use often. I've mixed it for part of the stiffener in lubes to save beeswax and have had no negative results.

We took my wife’s new .54 Renegade out for the first time day before yesterday. I’m supposed to be the expert here, lots of experience, with all knowledge and wisdom, right? She’s former LE and military but no black powder experience. So she’s got the loading drill down pretty good and firs the first round. Second load was a little harder but she got it. Third time, she can’t even start the ball. So Mr. Wisdom tells her she’s doing it wrong and i go to demonstrate for her. I wound up pounding on the short starter with my fist, all the way down the bore. My defense was a good one... muttering “well, there’s something wrong there....”. She just looked at me for a few moments. I hate when she does that and doesn’t say anything.

After that it was fire, wet patch, dry patch, load. Y’all just saved my ego-bacon, except i already sent her a copy if this thread. I’m out’a tricks now, except to just laugh at myself.

Time to go to Ace to get the scrubby thing.

don “the scrubby-hubby”

We took my wife’s new .54 Renegade out for the first time day before yesterday. I’m supposed to be the expert here, lots of experience, with all knowledge and wisdom, right? She’s former LE and military but no black powder experience. So she’s got the loading drill down pretty good and firs the first round. Second load was a little harder but she got it. Third time, she can’t even start the ball. So Mr. Wisdom tells her she’s doing it wrong and i go to demonstrate for her. I wound up pounding on the short starter with my fist, all the way down the bore. My defense was a good one... muttering “well, there’s something wrong there....”. She just looked at me for a few moments. I hate when she does that and doesn’t say anything.

After that it was fire, wet patch, dry patch, load. Y’all just saved my ego-bacon, except i already sent her a copy if this thread. I’m out’a tricks now, except to just laugh at myself.

Time to go to Ace to get the scrubby thing.

don “the scrubby-hubby”
LOL - we have ALL experienced that! That's one of the reasons I hang out here - Real People - Real advice!
No matter how "informed" I believe myself to be - I continuously learn new things here!

Them scrubby things are great, although I don’t use the green ones cuz I’m not sure of their grit.
Here’s 3m’s chart of their aggressiveness
I use the white, light gray, dark gray, maroon and brown on metal, wood, whiskering, rubbing back aqua fortis and rubbing in final Oil finish
Beats real steel wool any day
https://images.app.goo.gl/nZm8uEXBhXchgPSn8

Back