• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loyalists

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ffg

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Always wondered what became of the Loyalists and their families after the Revolutionary war ended?
Did they get the Jane Fonda treatment or were they left alone to go on with their lives

There is an alternate history series about them going to the recently Britsh captured colony of South Africa, which was the original plan.
It is very captivating fiction.

I read somewhere that some of them went to the Carolinas, don't recall N or S.
This might have been before things got hairy.
Some of my ancestors went there, so I'm interested.
I'm open to corrections, if anyone knows for sure.

Always wondered what became of the Loyalists and their families after the Revolutionary war ended?
Did they get the Jane Fonda treatment or were they left alone to go on with their lives
The majority were not treated well. Maya Jasanoff's "Liberty's Exiles" gives a good account of the dispersion of Loyalists throughout the British Empire.

There are many stories. Some fled to Canada, some to other parts of the British Empire (like the Caribbean). Others tried to stay put where they were or tried to move within the colonies to restart their lives. Many were treated terribly by locals. Some were chased away.
You can Google Loyalists after the American Revolution.
Lots of articles.

A great number of them left for England with the British troops and a large number immigrated north to Nova Scotia and Canada.
Yes I had the misfortune of living in queerbec for three years. I was posted to CFB Valcoartier and I hated it! But to your statement most if not all of the English in Quebec’s eastern townships are from the thirteen colonies. My ex wife’s family comes from one of the thirteen. Just look at the names of the towns and villages in that region, Ayer’s cliff, Waterville, Coaticook,
Grandby and many other towns were founded by loyalists.

Can't have been worse than the treatment of french canadiens after the fall of Arcadia. People that had lived there 150 years forcibly removed.

My family has been in Australia only a little longer than that and if someone forced me to move I'd be lost. I may have french and irish ancestry but I'm Australian as far as I'm concerned.

Can't have been worse than the treatment of french canadiens after the fall of Arcadia. People that had lived there 150 years forcibly removed.

My family has been in Australia only a little longer than that and if someone forced me to move I'd be lost. I may have french and irish ancestry but I'm Australian as far as I'm concerned.
There is an upside to everything. Even seemingly tragic things
Now those Acadians are Cajuns and get to enjoy gumbo, jambalaya, boudin sausage, crawfish pie, opelousas catfish,,,,, no snow....
What did they have in Canada? Snow, pea soup, snow, onions, sheet rock?

Odd how it can make you feel after over 200 years. I once drove into a town in Canada where a historical marker told of the loyalists family that left the U.S. and settled there. First thought that came to mind was simply “Scum”

There is an upside to everything. Even seemingly tragic things
Now those Acadians are Cajuns and get to enjoy gumbo, jambalaya, boudin sausage, crawfish pie, opelousas catfish,,,,, no snow....
What did they have in Canada? Snow, pea soup, snow, onions, sheet rock?

and snow.

Did you mention snow?

You forgot poutine.

And snow, maybe?

Ontario is full to squeaking with Loyalist families - even the roads are named for the Loyalists - look up Loyalist Highway, AKA Route 2. My family are newcomers at the very start of 1900. so, very Johnny-come-latelies. NOT involved in the war with the British in any way. Just thought I'd mention that.

Here in this house we have a great fondness for Australians and New Zealanders. If you have to run anywhere, you be good here. :)

Adams estimated a third backed tge revolution, a third were loyalist and a third didn’t care
Howard Zinn estimated only about ten percent backed the revolution
Don’t have much use for Zinn personally, but the fact was America should have been able to field a pretty big army and didn’t
Of note was a population of about two million colonist. If Adams was right that would make about seven hundred thousand loyalist. Of course we don’t know if Mrs Loyalist and loyalist jr felt the same way as pa.
The first census put the population at just shy of four million.
I’ve generally believed that the two million figure was an under census, and there was immigration during the war years and during the confederacy.
However we have a doubling of population between ‘76 and ‘90.
I’m hard pressed to think too many loyalist left.
Like all the racist who we going to move to Canada when Bush or Trump was elected, and didn’t, and the racist now who are going to move to Canada after SCOTUS upheld the constitution, and haven’t. I suspect immigration out was pretty low

Some of my ancestors lived in Oconee Co SC, and were sentenced to hang for sedition in 1778 as I recall. The sentences were never carried out and the family continued to live in the area for generations.

they became
I read somewhere that some of them went to the Carolinas, don't recall N or S.
Mine did too. They fought with the Brits. They did move to SC I read somewhere that some of them went to the Carolinas, don't recall N or S.
Mine ancestors went from NY to SC. The lineage was primarily English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back