• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Loving this light double.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a great day, six hours non stop hunting.

Started off with Jess working a fox in a boggy wood, I stood still as she courses around me giving little voice then Charlie came bolting past just to far for a shot.

It jumped the river to escape but well done Jess.

I missed a crow and a pigeon but after missing a pheasant got this one.

I realized I was leading to much and after some ground covering got my second bird.

IMG_20171222_125312973.jpg

Shortly after that a cock bird erupted and I took my time lead less and fired but out the smoke appeared a runner!

I encouraged Jess but she could not see what was unfolding so I just watched where it went into a wood and followed.

Jess entered the wood encouraged by me but she missed it and I spotted it hidden by a pond, I did not hesitate and shot the second barrel at its noggin.

The bird dutifully lept into the pond but to my complete surprise Jess lept into the water and retrieved it :shocked2:

IMG_20171222_131144367.jpg

Half a mile later and another cock bird gives me a shot.

At this I was done but with one tube still loaded, that is when Mr crow appeared at thirty yards and dutifully took a face plant in the dirt!

A brilliant day but I never saw a woodcock or rabbit, sad.

B.

Excellent, Brits, good job. The kind of day many of us wish for but very seldom have. Wing shooting is top of my list of favorite hunts, especially pheasants, and you do it right.

Of course you have to take Jess for ducks, now. Never suspected she was a water dog. :grin:

Love your reports and photos/videos.

Spence

Loved the short video...mostly because it was followed by the classic Jess up a tree. :wink: Looks like you had a great day a fowling! Not sure I'd worry about no bunnies or wood cocks with a brace & a half of pheasants and a start for crow pie! :haha: Great day with ole Jess and to quote my bud Scott, who is..."bloody brilliant!" :thumbsup:

Britts.... Great day afield...That dog really shines!

Impressed with amount of your shooting opportunities.

Wes/Tex said:
Loved the short video...mostly because it was followed by the classic Jess up a tree. :wink: Looks like you had a great day a fowling! Not sure I'd worry about no bunnies or wood cocks with a brace & a half of pheasants and a start for crow pie! :haha: Great day with ole Jess and to quote my bud Scott, who is..."bloody brilliant!" :thumbsup:
:hatsoff:

22fowl said:
Britts.... Great day afield...That dog really shines!

Impressed with amount of your shooting opportunities.
Thanks, I have been very fortunate yes. I doubt I could live without the freedom's certain land owners grant me with.
I love the woods.

B.

"A brilliant day but I never saw a woodcock or rabbit, sad."

Aw yeah, my heart is breaking for you. 4 big pheasants should be enough for anybody. :hatsoff:

Britsmoothy said:

B.

* sigh * woodcock.

I have watched them fly up and tumble back in mating rituals. Watched them feed on worms in the forest detritus. Had them flush and offer shots. . . but NEVER while I had a firearm with shot. Ever.

For almost 40 years I have registered for migratory birds in the sole purpose of shooting a woodcock. But they seem to know when I have a shot load.

Patocazador said:
"A brilliant day but I never saw a woodcock or rabbit, sad."

Aw yeah, my heart is breaking for you. 4 big pheasants should be enough for anybody. :hatsoff:
Well yes, I meant to observe.
Normally there are many more woodcock.
Re rabbit, the ground here is sticky, not ideal for rabbits.

B.

Stumpkiller said:
Britsmoothy said:

B.

* sigh * woodcock.

I have watched them fly up and tumble back in mating rituals. Watched them feed on worms in the forest detritus. Had them flush and offer shots. . . but NEVER while I had a firearm with shot. Ever.

For almost 40 years I have registered for migratory birds in the sole purpose of shooting a woodcock. But they seem to know when I have a shot load.

I hear you, I like watching them too.

B :hatsoff:

Stumpkiller said:
Britsmoothy said:

B.

* sigh * woodcock.

Don't feel bad. The last woodcock I shot was in 1997 in moose camp in Maine.

Shot that one and walked over to the downed bird and started reloading my fowler. Another flushed under my feet. I got it with a reaction with my steel ram rod. It was the second taken that way, both times witnessed.

They were my family's favorite game bird. If I could hunt just one thing every year for fun it would be woodcock.

When they became big time hunted every where and the bag limit and season times were cut drastically I said enough I like the little worm eaters to much and have not hunted them since.

Here where I live in the northern wastes of the UK we have a good population of resident wood cock which is enlarged in November by migrating birds from the northern forests of the continent .
The best time for these migrating birds come on the November full moon when good bags are achieved ,I personally have had several left and right at these birds they are a good eating bird when feeding in the woods but can be strong if feeding on sewerage ponds and farm waste ponds
Feltwad

Back