• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Love the barrel hate the sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassdog1

32 Seneca Guy
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Got a like new 45 caliber Seneca barrel from Track of the Wolf the other day. Took it to the range today and got some good results from the 50 yard line. The only issue I have is the factory sights. Bottoming out the rear sight I still had to bury the front sight in the notch to get where I wanted it. Loaded 60 grains Goex FFF, .445 cast ball and a .015 patch lubed with tracks mink oil. I own a couple other Senecas in 32 and 36 and switched the sights on them to Cherokee sights which I like a little better. I will work on the load some more and need to find some .440 balls to try also. Overall though loved shooting it as it was very pleasant to shoot with 60 grains and shows plenty of potential just didnt like having to burry the blade that far in the rear sight.

I think I may work on the rear sight before I start bending. Not really known for being a finesse type person and I can see this going bad for me real quick. But I appreciate the suggestion.

Taller sight is what I might try although the one on it is pretty tall already. I am going to look it over today and see if there is anything i can do with the rear sight,

Might try and mill down the rear sights to make a really shallow notch. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 8C24C24A-C895-4B63-B145-360F932533C6.jpeg
    8C24C24A-C895-4B63-B145-360F932533C6.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 9D628CA2-2919-4159-A5DB-5C2406E05B96.jpeg
    9D628CA2-2919-4159-A5DB-5C2406E05B96.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 78
Taller sight is what I might try although the one on it is pretty tall already. I am going to look it over today and see if there is anything i can do with the rear sight,
My Seneca came with the standard patridge sight and it was too short as well. I had a t/c rear peep (made for the Cherokee/Seneca rifles) so I added a Lyman 17 to the front and all is well. I would imagine Track of the Wolf has a suitable front sight for you…

Thanks for the Ideas went and shot again and I believe if I trim the rear sight down to make the notch much shallower it will work much better. Going to wait to do it as I recovered patches today and even though groups looked good patches were shredded. These were the Pushing Daisy patches from October Country .015 and were as thick as I could load with the cast .445 ball. Patch weave is loose and I feel the design of them encourages shredding. Gonna order some better patches and some .440 balls to try before I start modifying the sights. Want to have this gun ready for Gun season to open Mid November.

I recently purchased a .36 caliber Seneca. I love shooting this rifle! Like you, I ran out of downward adjustment with the factory sight. I never liked the factory modern looking adjustable sights, so I easily made something a little more traditional looking.

For the front sight I ordered a blank from Track of the Wolf. Part #FS-TC-BB-80
IMG_5219.jpg

From there I reshaped it and left it plenty high to make adjustments if needed.
IMG_5221.jpg

For the rear sight I had to get a little more creative, because I didn't want to cut a dovetail in my barrel. I wanted to be able to put the factory sights back on, if needed, for resale value.

I recently put a scope on my Glenfield Marlin Model 60 .22 rifle. So I had the rear sight in my parts drawer. These rear sights can easily be found on eBay for around $20.
IMG_5218.jpg

I used my Dremel to cut off the dovetail part on the front of the sight. I then reshaped the front to a point. Then I used the cutting drill bit to make a larger slot at the front of the elevator ramp opening for the mounting screw (these spring steel sights are impossible to drill a hole through). I then measured the distance for the rear screw (mine is an early barrel with the closer screw spacing) and used the bit to make the second slot. I used the original sight base screws to mount my new sight and indexed the slots so they aligned with the barrel. Lastly, I cut the front of the elevator ramp off so that it would fit in the opening.

IMG_5233.jpg
IMG_5228.jpg
IMG_5225.jpg
IMG_5226.jpg

I am really happy with how this new sight setup works! The new rear sight is solid! No more wiggling factory boxy rear sight. Windage adjustment was made by moving the front sight in the dovetail. Elevation was adjusted by filing down the front to bring the point of impact up (this new rear sight was lower than the factory one).

I sighted the rifle in with the elevator ramp in the first (bottom) notch, so that it is dead on at 25 yards. I can then use the ramp to adjust elevation up if I need to shoot longer distances. It works great!

Plus, I think the new sights are much more period looking and give the rifle a more traditional feel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Ideas went and shot again and I believe if I trim the rear sight down to make the notch much shallower it will work much better. Going to wait to do it as I recovered patches today and even though groups looked good patches were shredded. These were the Pushing Daisy patches from October Country .015 and were as thick as I could load with the cast .445 ball. Patch weave is loose and I feel the design of them encourages shredding. Gonna order some better patches and some .440 balls to try before I start modifying the sights. Want to have this gun ready for Gun season to open Mid November.
Try an idea I got from Idaho Lewis.
He uses a lubed patch as an over powder cushion before the patched ball.
I tried it and my accuracy improved quite a bit and recovered patches were almost good enough to reuse.

I’m using the patch under the prb… it’s worth doing in my opinion, but the Daisy patches are a gimmick and they do shred terribly. A standard round patch or cut from a strip is a better way to go.

Wow some great info on this thread.
My Cherokee load is shooting low but wish it shot high because with mine it gets very iffy when loosing up the rear sight screw to rise it. I wish i could lock it down tight.

overall i am fine with factory sights but wish they had a more postive adjustment on elevation screw.

Back