• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Love the barrel hate the sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the Ideas went and shot again and I believe if I trim the rear sight down to make the notch much shallower it will work much better. Going to wait to do it as I recovered patches today and even though groups looked good patches were shredded. These were the Pushing Daisy patches from October Country .015 and were as thick as I could load with the cast .445 ball. Patch weave is loose and I feel the design of them encourages shredding. Gonna order some better patches and some .440 balls to try before I start modifying the sights. Want to have this gun ready for Gun season to open Mid November.
I just go to store that sells fabric get .015 pillow ticking and you will have all the patching you need much cheaper.

I too am of the opinion that the 100% cotton cloth available on the bolt at the fabric stores is the better choice. Square patches, round patches or cut at the muzzle patches all perform very well. I prefer the 100% cotton drill cloth from the utility cloth section of JoAnn's Fabrics, but their offerings from pillow ticking through canvas are very good. Just be sure to verify that the fabric is 100% cotton or 100% linen from flax. You can take a micrometer to the store to check the thickness of the fabric. Before using the fabric as a ball patch, wash in hot water to remove the starchy sizing that doesn't let the lubricant soak into the weave.

IMO: TC had the most contrary sights i ever saw on guns: Most new TC muzzleloaders i sighted in required a taller front sight. The screw elevated rear sight is a piece of junk: Besides it ain't HC. :p
I use the peep rear on a couple… sight it in for one particular load and then lock it down with loc tite!

Thanks for all the replies I am going to get some better patches and some .440 balls and also try the lubed over powder patch before I start modifying but I really like the Idea of trying to make the sights more HC. The rear sight is the original version with two screws very close together so may be able to find someone who could dovetail a new rear where screws are.

Here is my solution to the factory sights. I mounted a buckhorn sight which holds inserts that can be raised or lowered and held in place with screws so that when you find your desired height it will not move unless you want it to. By mounting the sight on a bar with a dovetail I can adjust for windage and it also moves the rear sight further out for my old eyes.And the bar uses the factory screw holes and screws so you can always go back to factory if desired.

Attachments

• buck horn sight mounted.jpg
    buck horn sight mounted.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 88
Got a .440 mold and some tighter weaved patches going to do a little range work today and see if this changes anything sight wise before I decide what to do as far as making modifications. Supposed to be a gorgeous fall day today cant wait to get to the range.

Definitely shoots better with the .440 cast ball. Patching and powder charge still need some work. Then possibly mill down the rear blade to make it ready to hunt this season this season.

The front sight is simply a 3/8 dovetail. Tons and tons of offerings out there in many different heights. I'd buy one around .500" high, move the rear sight to the middle of it's range, and then file the front as needed to get a 50 yard zero (my preference).

Had time to get the barrel out today going to look for a taller front sight I measured the factory sight and it is .30 so I will look for a taller one on Track with a 3/8 dovetail. Happy thanksgiving to everyone and hope all of you are doing well

Back