• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LOVE My Crockett!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been shooting my Crockett. Dang ol gal shoots amazing and today I got him in the squirrel woods:

43C86D6B-D48B-4BDC-B89C-480E60E94B92.jpeg

Rocky had other plans, didn’t see a one! But boy it was just fun to get out on this mild winters day and just poke around the dang ol woods and whatnot. Tried to scrounge me up some injun arrowheads but they was a hidin’ too! :D

Anyway y’all take care. The wooden ramrod I made (hickory) works amazing and I’m also really liking my leather capper from October Country.

Take care y’all!!

-Smokey

Glad you got out and about, Smoke. What is that leather capper you mentioned? Never heard of one. Also, what is that wooden thing that holds the round balls called?

I like your setup! Do you find many arrowheads are there? Looks like it is near a creek or river in the picture, I bet there would be some good place to look for some.

Yes it’s in a creek nearby. Saw some 🐿 nests but no activity, was afternoon so maybe too late in the day. Got a couple with shotguns in the past few weeks. Once fried, the meat had a smooth flavor, and a crisp refreshing finish.

Last edited:
What load do you use? I love my Crockett but I haven't come up with a load that gives me the accuracy I think the gun is capable of.

Only the second load I’ve tried but the gun really likes 20 grains of Old Eynsford 3Fg with a Hornady .310 ball. Patching is Jo-Ann’s .015” thick pillow ticking greased with Track of the Wolf mink oil. It consistently puts them in a half dollar size group out to 30 yards. Sights are dead on from the factory. I’ve been spit patching for target work/plinking and can shoot all day, no wiping needed.

Glad you got out and about, Smoke. What is that leather capper you mentioned? Never heard of one. Also, what is that wooden thing that holds the round balls called?

The leather capper is the round thing next to the bullet board. I got it from October Country. It’s just a disk of leather with holes in it that hold on to the percussion caps. Works great. These are period correct for the late percussion era.

Also the factory nipple worked with the few different types of caps I have stocked up, but none of the caps were tight and could easily fall off. I replaced it with one from Track of the Wolf. They’re stainless and designed to specifically fit the common CCI #11 which I have over a thousand of. I can confirm it works great with that cap and they stay on snug. The caps don’t burst asunder with the new nipple either, just a little split on one side. Highly recommended nipple.

I have a Pedersoli Frontier .32 caliber that I squirrel hunt with also. Lots of fun! I took it out with me today in the woods, while I checked some trail cameras we have set up on our property just in case I ran across a squirrel or two, like you I didn't see any this evening. Noticed you live in southern Illinois, where you located? I also live in southern Illinois, near Marion.

I have a Pedersoli Frontier .32 caliber that I squirrel hunt with also. Lots of fun! I took it out with me today in the woods, while I checked some trail cameras we have set up on our property just in case I ran across a squirrel or two, like you I didn't see any this evening. Noticed you live in southern Illinois, where you located? I also live in southern Illinois, near Marion.
Indeed, that's one reason I bought my Crocket rifle. Carrying a .32 squirrel rifle in the woods while doing other activities is a good idea. We have what is known as hillbilly trained attack squirrels that lurks in these here mountains. They are fearsome little buggers. A mans best defense it to be prepared.

My wife still doesn't believe that one. She has no idea of the danger I was in before I bought my Crocket rifle. IMO, just the name "Crocket Rifle" alone outta be enough to scare the daylights out of those evil, trained, attack squirrels.

J/K there Flash. In all seriousness, I can hardly wait to get to chasing those bushy tails here. I hope to do so this coming weekend, if not before. Been wanting a .32 squirrel rifle for years. Haven't even had the chance to fire mine yet. Now that all the possibles has arrived, I hope to finally try it out it tomorrow.

Last edited:
The leather capper is the round thing next to the bullet board. I got it from October Country. It’s just a disk of leather with holes in it that hold on to the percussion caps. Works great. These are period correct for the late percussion era.

Also the factory nipple worked with the few different types of caps I have stocked up, but none of the caps were tight and could easily fall off. I replaced it with one from Track of the Wolf. They’re stainless and designed to specifically fit the common CCI #11 which I have over a thousand of. I can confirm it works great with that cap and they stay on snug. The caps don’t burst asunder with the new nipple either, just a little split on one side. Highly recommended nipple.
Do you remember which nipple size you purchased, my gun doesn't hold caps very well either. I liked your possible bag too, is it one from the October Country?

Do you remember which nipple size you purchased, my gun doesn't hold caps very well either. I liked your possible bag too, is it one from the October Country?
Most #10 caps fit the factory supplied nipple nice and snug on my Crockett.

Most #10 caps fit the factory supplied nipple nice and snug on my Crockett.

Nice. Perhaps the newer models have smaller nipples, or I just got one with an out of spec nipple. My Remington #10s would drop off even when firmly applied. Same for my CCI #11s. Also, the factory orifice is larger and was allowing more back pressure to cause the caps to come apart more. This new Track nipple cures that nicely.

Looks like I have another possible to purchase. I would think I could make one of those, however.

I’m not so handy lol but it would be an easy project. Someone posted what drill bit sizes you need for specific calibers a while back. The loading blocks work great and are a lot of fun to use.

Nice. Perhaps the newer models have smaller nipples, or I just got one with an out of spec nipple. My Remington #10s would drop off even when firmly applied. Same for my CCI #11s. Also, the factory orifice is larger and was allowing more back pressure to cause the caps to come apart more. This new Track nipple cures that nicely.
That's good to know, my Crockett is a kit I put together about 6 months ago, and the nipple threads are looser than I would like. I'll have to try the nipple from Track. The #10 caps I have been using are some of the older Remington with the foil lining and they are definitely tighter than the newer CCI #10s.

This size here:

View attachment 190652

The bag is the October Country Freetrapper style. Very high quality with good leather and the price is great.
Thanks for the reply! I got to thinking, when I buy something new (this time a Crockett)I buy things to go with it. After digging through my stuff I found two nipples that you listed. I had been using the nipple that come with the gun not realizing the replacements were bigger on the cap end. I had looked to October Country for the capper in your picture, in the process of doing that I saw the bag and wondered if it was like yours.
October Country should be giving you some perks for being a good salesman for them.

Thanks for the reply! I got to thinking, when I buy something new (this time a Crockett)I buy things to go with it. After digging through my stuff I found two nipples that you listed. I had been using the nipple that come with the gun not realizing the replacements were bigger on the cap end. I had looked to October Country for the capper in your picture, in the process of doing that I saw the bag and wondered if it was like yours.
October Country should be giving you some perks for being a good salesman for them.

Lol! They’re great to deal with. You can call them on the phone and they’ll basically make you whatever you want. I’ve had several custom ramrods made by them for various guns over the years. Their shooting pouches and powder horns are excellent and durable and very fairly priced.

Latest posts

Back