• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lousy shooting!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I struggled this weekend shooting pigeons.
Family duties stopped me from getting on the field in the morning, that was when the field was hot with birds!
So I had to settle for late afternoon and a few lone birds and no matter how I adjusted the deeks they would shy away for the most part. Alas I got eight down.
Sunday was the same, a late start but I had moved the blind the evening before which put me under a flight line with a large oak to my right.
Once again the birds would see the deeks, commit and then at the last moment change their mind and go to the tree! If I had set up 20yds closer to the tree I would had more shots!
That said, I did indeed have some shooting but today I was a lousy shot! I missed the first eight!
I had a think about it and came to the conclusion I'm leading to far in front so I trimmed the lead [leed] and voila they started to come down but by now it was near time to leave 🙄.
Before I left I moved the blind closer to the tree in case I get a chance tomorrow.
The Beretta performed flawlessly.
I used a mere 60gns of very fine powder and an oz plus of shot.

Saturday.
20210904_181731.jpg

Sunday.
20210905_153304.jpg

Didn't clean the gun last night but did just. Hot water only, simples.

Now which gun next.......

Last edited:
Family duties stopped me from getting on the field in the morning, that was when the field was hot with birds!
So I had to settle for late afternoon and a few lone birds and no matter how I adjusted the deeks they would shy away for the most part. Alas I got eight down.
Sunday was the same, a late start but I had moved the blind the evening before which put me under a flight line with a large oak to my right.
Once again the birds would see the deeks, commit and then at the last moment change their mind and go to the tree! If I had set up 20yds closer to the tree I would had more shots!
That said, I did indeed have some shooting but today I was a lousy shot! I missed the first eight!
I had a think about it and came to the conclusion I'm leading to far in front so I trimmed the lead [leed] and voila they started to come down but by now it was near time to leave 🙄.
Before I left I moved the blind closer to the tree in case I get a chance tomorrow.

Saturday.
View attachment 92924
Sunday.
View attachment 92923

Damn, I would think about an infernal contract for such a day.
But
I’ve had more fun skunked in the field then ever at work

Looks like another good day afield. As usual great story and pics and as usual Jess makes me grin ear to ear, reminds me very much of my dog who I had for the last 18 year's but recently passed away. Good memories. Well done on your hunt. Sounds like a fun time.

Saturday.
View attachment 92924
Sunday.
View attachment 92923

You let family duties get in the way of a good hunt? I have never heard of such a thing? My wife told me if I went hunting she would leave me. I really like her so I did exactly what I was supposed to do And I didn't go hunting. I went fishing! LOL!

Saturday.
View attachment 92924
Sunday.
View attachment 92923

One would think the Beretta would perform flawlessly, They have been in the firearms business since 1526. They MIGHT know how to build a gun. 🙂

One would think the Beretta would perform flawlessly, They have been in the firearms business since 1526. They MIGHT know how to build a gun. 🙂
Actually no! Not in this case.
These were not made by Beretta.
They have a very poor method of creating a flash channel to the bottom barrel that is based on a long m10 grub screw and it and the threads are not sealed correctly.
That leads to lose of ignition flash and gas cutting of the stock when it does fire.
It is however fixable and mine is and it is super reliable now.

Back