• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lott Sitting Fox Trade Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought a Trade Musket (contemporary) at auction. Lott marked lock, w/ Sitting Fox and two Fox stamps on breech area. Birch (?) stock, 41-1/1" bbl., brass trigger guard and nailed buttplate, browned bbl., don't want to dismount to see if there's markings under the bbl. as the pins are all nice and tight. Would love to know who made this 12ga. smoothie, it's not India or Peder factory-type gun. Lock has simple engraving on cock and lockplate. Could be just a one-off custom gun, any comments appreciated. Has brass Serpent, of course! Appears never really fired. There was some talk here about Lott marked locks, thanks.

image.gif

Your trade gun might be one of the early Curley Gostomsky trade guns from Northstar West. He used the Lott locks until he was able to make his own locks. Should be a star stamp someplace.

Pictures please.

The barrel should be smooth bored.
It is smooth; haven't seen a star stamp, but not taking it apart at this time to look under the barrel as everything is tight and there's a repaired split in the thing sliver of wood in front of the lock. Just leaving it as is for now. Thanks. My understanding is that all Trade Guns were smooth.

It is smooth; haven't seen a star stamp, but not taking it apart at this time to look under the barrel as everything is tight and there's a repaired split in the thing sliver of wood in front of the lock. Just leaving it as is for now. Thanks. My understanding is that all Trade Guns were smooth.
There were trade rifles, but many of the smoothbore type barrels on todays guns are pretty thick and some have been on a NWG or TFC style with a rifled barrel
Track of the wolf sells fusil barrels that are rifled

I have a "Franken Fowler" or as the older club members call it, a "West (St. Louis) County Special made in the 1970's by a talented but not very interested in correct architecture smith who wanted to make an early trade gun. The Lott lock was the only lock available at the time of the correct size for a trade gun and so it was used. Mine was tuned to provide good sparks and is an acceptably reliable functioning flint lock. So, the Lott lock can be made into a good lock. Curley Gostomsky did his best to make the Lott locks he used on his trade guns reliable. @springfield art, let us know how your trade gun performs.

Once again, I will ask to see some pictures.

I have a "Franken Fowler" or as the older club members call it, a "West (St. Louis) County Special made in the 1970's by a talented but not very interested in correct architecture smith who wanted to make an early trade gun. The Lott lock was the only lock available at the time of the correct size for a trade gun and so it was used. Mine was tuned to provide good sparks and is an acceptably reliable functioning flint lock. So, the Lott lock can be made into a good lock. Curley Gostomsky did his best to make the Lott locks he used on his trade guns reliable. @springfield art, let us know how your trade gun performs.

Once again, I will ask to see some pictures.
I use the local library computer and don't even have a digital camera; I'm pretty much techno-phobe, and can only wish I could post photos! But I enjoy seeing everyone else's fine submissions! I really appreciate the tips I've gotten here on ID'ing my new Trade Rifle!

I use the local library computer and don't even have a digital camera; I'm pretty much techno-phobe, and can only wish I could post photos! But I enjoy seeing everyone else's fine submissions! I really appreciate the tips I've gotten here on ID'ing my new Trade Rifle!
Do you have a cell phone that will take pictures and then email them ?

LD

Your trade gun might be one of the early Curley Gostomsky trade guns from Northstar West. He used the Lott locks until he was able to make his own locks. Should be a star stamp someplace.

Pictures please.

The barrel should be smooth bored.
Spot on he did use Lotts but made his own once the suppliers put the price up on him . I made a Beech stocked 12 bore blued barrel Birmingham proof marks . He bought it & a common musket years ago , Never used any Lott's for him just filled in the 'Lott '& graved them up as military as they are Carbine sized . I did knock up a Chiefs with smooth & Rifle Brl option for Gene Mayher of Greenville . the patrons whim..
Rudyard

Beech is heavy & dense. birch is lighter stuff unless it got Uk proofs its not mine only one had blued brl & 12 bore ' Leman' he called it .I just made them he called them what he liked . Rudyard

CURLY & IRMA made really great trade guns. I have one of them in 75 Cal, smooth bore. had it for 36 yrs. not a problem one!

back in the day the LOTT locks were made in ITALY and they had a myriad of issues. CURLY, made them right when sent back.

I was following that auction, seemed a really solid gun. Lifted a couple images from the auction site:
Thank you! Lifted, indeed! I have some .690 round balls and with a .015 patch, seems a good tight fit. Will try it with maybe 60-70 grains to start; it's only for casual plinking, I don't hunt! Thanks again.

Just bought a Trade Musket (contemporary) at auction. Lott marked lock, w/ Sitting Fox and two Fox stamps on breech area. Birch (?) stock, 41-1/1" bbl., brass trigger guard and nailed buttplate, browned bbl., don't want to dismount to see if there's markings under the bbl. as the pins are all nice and tight. Would love to know who made this 12ga. smoothie, it's not India or Peder factory-type gun. Lock has simple engraving on cock and lockplate. Could be just a one-off custom gun, any comments appreciated. Has brass Serpent, of course! Appears never really fired. There was some talk here about Lott marked locks, thanks.
If I’m not mistaken, the Lott lock was an early Pedersoli lock & a smaller version of their Brown Bess Grice marked lock.

I don't know if this is a Lott lock on my Gustomsky trade gun but it does have Curley's mark on the inside of the lock plate. The lock is not a good lock, it sparks well but the frizzen arm is an odd configuration that leaves a gap between the frizzen and pan, as far as I can tell this can't be fixed.

curley mark.JPG
curley lock 001.JPG

Back