• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lots of Acorns + Doe in Heat + .58cal Early Virginia =7 Pointer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
I’ve never seen such a heavy acorn crop in the Oak flat where I’ve hunted the past 20 years.
They normally fall September through mid-October and are all gone by the end of October.
But here it is, already a week into November and the ground is still heavily littered with them.
Does will continue to feed for another couple weeks and the bucks should keep cruising.

This morning’s 7 pointer came poking along through the Oaks around 9:30, about 40 yards away, head down, nose in the leaves on a hot Doe trail”¦when he was crossing in front of me, I whistled, he stopped and I dropped him with a high shoulder shot out of the .58cal Early Virginia Flintlock.

This is supposed to be a photo of the acorns all over the ground but as sometimes happens, the MLF Forum won't post it...and it's file name is shorter than the one that did post.
Suffice it to say the ground is still littered with them.

Congrats Roundball :thumbsup: I got to work an 8 hour shift tonight then I'm off for 10 days and our season opens Saturday

very nice photo, now thats got to make a lot of deer hunters buck fever rise. our season starts monday for adults but it does only. with my luck all i will see is b&c trophy bucks. how much would you guess that buck weighs on the hoof, he looks thick.

He was thick / stocky...neck of course this time of year, but his shoulders/flanks/legs...all thicker than average I thought...think he had some age on him.
A much heavier drag than normal bringing up thoughts of "dead weight" while I was struggling with him...had already wondered if he'd hit 175#...hard to say though.

:thumbsup: Roundball, That's a dandy buck! I sure wish we had a similar shot at our rutters here in this state. Great time to be out in the woods. Sounds like you really found a honey hole too! :hatsoff:

Nice fat buck Roundball. Congrats.

Been watching for your annual fall post.

Greg

And I had my usual reaction when I saw bits & pieces of him coming through the trees & branches in my direction...thought he was going to hear my heart pounding.
Hope everyone gets a chance this season as well.

I'm heading off to deer camp tomorrow. Our season opens on Saturday here in Tennessee. We also have as many acorns on the ground here that I can remember. No reason why all the deer shouldn't be nice and fat this season. I'm looking forward to sitting in the fall woods for a few days waiting on some venison to walk by.

Jeff

That's a nice buck you have there!, lots of stew beef and a some nice tender loins on him :thumbsup: .

Nice one killed an 8 pt with my long bow,waiting for Ohio gun season to fill doe tag with my flinter. Well done

Nice!

Very few acorns or hickory nuts hereabouts this year.

Saw a six point yesterday - in the little patch of woods and stream beside a cloverleaf of the highway on my commute home from work. Smart buck if he stays off the highway!

Latest posts

Back