• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lot of handguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have noticed lot of BP handguns up for sale recently, is this a trend? Why are so many people selling these fine looking guns? Sign of the times I am afraid. Maybe it’s the difficulty in finding percussion caps. Gives you a pause if you think about it!

Attachments

• D0164DB7-BDF6-4A59-A7BF-0F9DD4B05CB8.jpeg
    D0164DB7-BDF6-4A59-A7BF-0F9DD4B05CB8.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 2
My op[nion after looking at many at Gun shows, 2 things that came to mind. The prices are way to high for the quality of the pistol/revolver being made n shown. I see some that were priced at $70 when i was shooting in the 70's. They want twice that n they were not worth that to start with

My op[nion after looking at many at Gun shows, 2 things that came to mind. The prices are way to high for the quality of the pistol/revolver being made n shown. I see some that were priced at $70 when i was shooting in the 70's. They want twice that n they were not worth that to start with
Ever hear of a little sumptin called freaking inflation?!?! Gas ain't 29 cents a gallon anymore either.

I have noticed lot of BP handguns up for sale recently, is this a trend? Why are so many people selling these fine looking guns? Sign of the times I am afraid. Maybe it’s the difficulty in finding percussion caps. Gives you a pause if you think about it!
Don’t know about people selling their BP revolvers, but I sure do like your gardening partner!

Time change. $70 in 1975 is roughly $400 today...$389.25 to be exact. And a lot of the BP guns made then weren't in any degree better than what's available these days...Some were total garbage.

Ever hear of a little sumptin called freaking inflation?!?! Gas ain't 29 cents a gallon anymore either.
Naw i never heard of that, i remember gas for 17 cents a gal. You sir seem to be over bearing in your attitude towards other members on this Forum, Pffffttt

Because people's eyes got bigger than their wallets when the post-pandemic shipments of Italian guns came in.....and then

#1 guys who weren't smart enough to hide them from their wives are being forced to sell

#2 guys who bought cap and ball revolvers as cheaper to shoot alternatives realized they are actually work to keep running

#3 like was said, lack of components

#4 all the impulse buys at Cabelas are going on the chopping block because people need $ for eggs and heating oil

#5 bored buyers syndrome, it looked cool 6 months ago and it's not shiny new anymore, plus it's easier to dish off non-FFL firearms quickly

I can say from going to several gun shows over the last few months, I didn't see a lot of black powder firearms. Went to three shows in two weekends. Was four black powder pistols and one caplock rifle between them. A few unmentionable black powders also. None of them were cheap. A guy was walking around with a black powder unmentionable and it sold right away. A year or two ago you would see CVA's and TC's often plus some single shot pistols or revolvers. They aren't there now. Don't know exactly what this means but black powder related items seem to be kind of scarce right now. Maybe the dealers just aren't buying them. Maybe it is just the time of year.

Last edited:
I ran gun shows for 36 years. Most of the dealers don't want to carry traditional BP guns because they are hard to sell. Not a lot of interest. The exception might be the revolvers. Most dealers with traditional BP guns are willing to bargain so they can get them of their inventory.

One factor in the price of c&b pistols might be that they are unregulated in most jurisdictions. Look on the internet, you will find several videos on the question of c&b pistols for home defense in places where other options are prohibited. A sign of the times, I guess.

IronHand

I ran gun shows for 36 years. Most of the dealers don't want to carry traditional BP guns because they are hard to sell. Not a lot of interest. The exception might be the revolvers. Most dealers with traditional BP guns are willing to bargain so they can get them of their inventory.

One factor in the price of c&b pistols might be that they are unregulated in most jurisdictions. Look on the internet, you will find several videos on the question of c&b pistols for home defense in places where other options are prohibited. A sign of the times, I guess.

IronHand
Yep. Traditional muzzleloaders are hard to sell because most people never shot one, and have no clue on how addictive they can be.

If I have read the ads correctly from a couple of the individuals that have been selling here is that their father had died and they have no interest in them and are selling off dad's years of collecting. Very sad. Falls into the category of several other postings here about the sport dying off.

Back