• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

lost Ships Biscuits info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After giving it some thought, it is theoretically possible, however improbable, that someone both doesn't have access to a cast iron pan (kidnapped?) and at the same time forced at gunpoint to make a batch of Cornbread. I mean, it could happen. Other than that, I got nothin'.

After giving it some thought, it is theoretically possible, however improbable, that someone both doesn't have access to a cast iron pan (kidnapped?) and at the same time forced at gunpoint to make a batch of Cornbread. I mean, it could happen. Other than that, I got nothin'.

My point was not that one should not be using a cast iron skillet, but that what we use at home today, and the recipe for the bread..., IF one is doing frontier food circa 1754 through 1783..., is not accurate. So..., then something like a Lodge brand skillet, and cornbread using wheat and a quick-leaven (like a Jiffy Brand mix) produces the modern product..., delicious..., but NOT what they had back then.

Everybody who has tasted "corn bread" knows what the modern product is like.

I think we cheat ourselves out of a different, tasty experience, when we don't at least try to figure out how the folks prepared it when they didn't have baking soda, baking powder, and wheat flour wasn't available, and IF they had cast iron cookware, it was a spider or a Dutch Oven (and even the DO was of a different design). ;)

LD

Back