• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Loose Spot in Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a custom 58 cal that seems to have a loose spot in the barrel. For the life of me, it's been a pain trying to get good accuracy. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks

A loose spot could be as little as 0.002” larger. I’d carefully measure the outside to see if it is “ringed” as explained above. If not then 2 options other than re-boring are worth considering.

First, lapping may help and is easy. You’ll need a 7/16” ramrod blank a foot longer than the barrel. I can give you details on pouring the lap. Then use clover compound or valve grinding compound to lap the barrel from the breech end. 300 strokes should get you 0.001” from end to end.

The second option is to freshen up the rifling. I have done that work for folks. It takes some experience. The end result would be a bore the is the same diameter end to end or if desired, with some choke at the muzzle. It will load smooth and shoot like before but not have the perfect mirror bore you get with a new barrel. My original shots into an inch and a half at 50 yards when my buddy shoots it. It started out full of pits and crawdad holes.

Bobby Hoyt does great work and he charges little for the work involved. But a .62 may not be what you want.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'd like to stay with the 58 and not get it re-bored unless really needed. Guess next time I look at a rifle I should take a pair of calibers with me just to check out the barrel dimensions.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'd like to stay with the 58 and not get it re-bored unless really needed. Guess next time I look at a rifle I should take a pair of calibers with me just to check out the barrel dimensions.
Or even a bore light. I think i only paid $15 and it’s awesome.
I had a bulge in my Lyman that I hadn’t shot in probably 15 years. I don’t even remember short starting it. But anyways...I recently tried getting any accuracy out of it with no success. Just a lot of wasted time. So I’m now in the process of browning my new barrel.

A tight fitting patch and jag will usually tell you if you have a loose spot in the bore. Measuring the outside of the barrel will likely not tell you much unless there is a gross problem. Plus running a patch down the barrel will tell you if there are corrosion issues, at least in my opinion.

If it is ringed you should be able to see that on the outside. Assuming the barrel is polished well enough this will work. Use a window to cast a reflection of the window frame on the outside of the barrel. Sight won the outside at a low angle. The reflection should be even or straight, no bumps or dips.

If it can be detected from the outside measurements I would consider a new barrel. If not you can send it out to be fixed or do it yourself.

Don't worry about it. It's a bad assumption that it won't shoot!
I have had ringed barrels that shot.
I actually ringed an unmentionable myself and it shot tighter groups after!
One vital bit of information is missing, how did it shoot before?
There are many factors for bad shooting and a slight ringing would be my last concern.

Have a mid `70s investarms .50. It is ringed just under the rear sight. Will not shoot a patched ball in any kind of group at 50 yds, even from the bench. Took it out yesterday with beeswax lubed Lee minies over 50 gr goex. 5 inch group off hand at 50 yds. Had been considering parting it out until yesterday. Try something different, it may work.

Latest posts

Back