Loose Spot in Barrel

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

mountainman_53223

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a custom 58 cal that seems to have a loose spot in the barrel. For the life of me, it's been a pain trying to get good accuracy. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks

azmntman

Cannon
Reaction score
Sounds like its been "ringed" (shot with a ball/conical not fully seated). If so you may never get accuracy and may need to have it bored out to a .62? Others are more knowledgeable (not better looking) and will chime in....

rich pierce

70 Cal.
Reaction score
A loose spot could be as little as 0.002” larger. I’d carefully measure the outside to see if it is “ringed” as explained above. If not then 2 options other than re-boring are worth considering.

First, lapping may help and is easy. You’ll need a 7/16” ramrod blank a foot longer than the barrel. I can give you details on pouring the lap. Then use clover compound or valve grinding compound to lap the barrel from the breech end. 300 strokes should get you 0.001” from end to end.

The second option is to freshen up the rifling. I have done that work for folks. It takes some experience. The end result would be a bore the is the same diameter end to end or if desired, with some choke at the muzzle. It will load smooth and shoot like before but not have the perfect mirror bore you get with a new barrel. My original shots into an inch and a half at 50 yards when my buddy shoots it. It started out full of pits and crawdad holes.

Bobby Hoyt does great work and he charges little for the work involved. But a .62 may not be what you want.

mountainman_53223

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'd like to stay with the 58 and not get it re-bored unless really needed. Guess next time I look at a rifle I should take a pair of calibers with me just to check out the barrel dimensions.

Lippy984

40 Cal
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'd like to stay with the 58 and not get it re-bored unless really needed. Guess next time I look at a rifle I should take a pair of calibers with me just to check out the barrel dimensions.
Or even a bore light. I think i only paid $15 and it’s awesome.
I had a bulge in my Lyman that I hadn’t shot in probably 15 years. I don’t even remember short starting it. But anyways...I recently tried getting any accuracy out of it with no success. Just a lot of wasted time. So I’m now in the process of browning my new barrel.

Grumpa

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This thread needs to be moved to a more appropriate section of the Forum, where it would get more attention. This is the Regional section.

SDSmlf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A tight fitting patch and jag will usually tell you if you have a loose spot in the bore. Measuring the outside of the barrel will likely not tell you much unless there is a gross problem. Plus running a patch down the barrel will tell you if there are corrosion issues, at least in my opinion.

Scota@4570

40 Cal
Reaction score
If it is ringed you should be able to see that on the outside. Assuming the barrel is polished well enough this will work. Use a window to cast a reflection of the window frame on the outside of the barrel. Sight won the outside at a low angle. The reflection should be even or straight, no bumps or dips.

bang

50 Cal.
Reaction score
If it can be detected from the outside measurements I would consider a new barrel. If not you can send it out to be fixed or do it yourself.

Britsmoothy

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. It's a bad assumption that it won't shoot!
I have had ringed barrels that shot.
I actually ringed an unmentionable myself and it shot tighter groups after!
One vital bit of information is missing, how did it shoot before?
There are many factors for bad shooting and a slight ringing would be my last concern.

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Have a mid `70s investarms .50. It is ringed just under the rear sight. Will not shoot a patched ball in any kind of group at 50 yds, even from the bench. Took it out yesterday with beeswax lubed Lee minies over 50 gr goex. 5 inch group off hand at 50 yds. Had been considering parting it out until yesterday. Try something different, it may work.

mooman76

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Relining would probably be your best bet unless you can live with it the way it is if all else attempts don't work.

Latest posts