• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Loose nipple on Green Mountain Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prairieofthedog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought a Green Mountain barrel for my Renegade.Any way the previous owner wasn't real picky about cleaning around the nipple area.Nipple was free,but when I screwed in a new one it was pretty loose going in.Tightens up fine but very loose going in.Threads in bolster are ok not buggered,but are not sharp,like threads that are cleaned regularly.Can I get a slightly oversize nipple and thread it in or do you have to retap the nipple hole?Thanks.

if it tightens up then it should be ok

if you do decide to go with an oversized nipple, you have to retap the threads and do it right, otherwise you are going to have a nipple projectile whizing past your ear when ya shoot it

Sometimes a change in nipple brands will help. Dunno what the orginal was, but I've always found the sharp threads on Ampco bronze nipples from TOW to engage a little better, somehow feeling "tighter" going into a bolster. Cheap to try, in any case.

Don't let the illusion that the nipple feels tight means it fits.
Do double check the thread size in the drum. You can buy a couple machine screws in common nipple sizes and test those to determine the right size. Or ask who you bought it from.
A nipple blowing out is a memorable :shocked2: experience you do not want.

Just as others have said, try a different brand or even a different one. I bought some in a blister pack at a gun store that was so undersize it wouldn't have tightened down without stripping. Just took them back, let them keep their junk. It measured about .025 undersize but the threads were correct pitch.
David

About 6 or 7 years ago. Green Mountain sold these with a "heli-coil" insert. Some people complained and GM replaced the bolsters IIRC. I doubt if a heli-coil came out that a nipple would even attempt to thread in. Probably fall in. But it is something to know.

By the way, IIRC Some of these may have been sent out with 6-.75 metric nipples or something like that. Look in the Archives here.

Bob

Leatherbark,I did hear about the recall on those barrels a couple of years ago.Checked the numbers and mine was not one of them.No Heli-coil or metric nipple in mine.I think the threads are worn down a little from wear and tear and neglect.I will try a different 1/4 x 28 nipple and see if that helps.Thanks.

Stronics,I know what you mean.I bought a brand new Pedersoli Frontier rifle a few years ago and the factory nipple was so sloppy it made me nervous.Got a name brand nipple and it was fine.Coarse a guy is better off to chuck most factory nipples LOL!

I bought a GM barrel and it came with a nipple with a M6 thread. It will screw into the 1/4 x 28 hole with some resistance the first time and very little after that. M6 is .236 dia.

Please verify the thread is correct for your gun.

Much depends on exactly what you mean by going in loosely. If the nipple screws in smoothly and tightens up when it is fully in, that is the way it should be. If it is wiggly loose as it screws in, the threads my have corroded out and only the tips of the threads may be engaging. It will tighten up that way but not enough metal will be engaged to provide a safe connection. If the nipple is wiggly loose as it screws in, try another nipple to see if it will fit better. There are some metric nipples that have a size that is very close to a standard thread and can be screwed in but actually be too small. If you have a new niple with a known size thread, give it a try. If the new nipple is also wiggley loose as you screw it in, have a gunsmith take a look at it to see what the problem is. Be careful with this rifle until you can get the nipples to screw in smoothly and seat firmly. I am not sure if they make nipples with oversize threads but you can check with Track of The Wolf or Dixie Gun Works. If they have such a thing, you will likely have to send in the current nipple from your gun so they can measure the threads and send the correct nipples. Rest assured, there is a correct way to solve the problem once the problem is correctly diagnosed.

Billnpatti,it is wiggly loose going in.This barrel has not had the best care.I cleaned the threads in the bolster for the nipple and they are not stripped.But from corrosion and wear and tear they are slightly undersized.This barrel as far as I know takes 1/1 x28 tried a 6M and it was undersized.Think I will buy a .005 oversized nipple from Track and carefully thread it in without re-tapping.Got nothing to lose.

Clean up the threds with a 1/4X28 tap before you install that
oversized nipple

M6x.75 has 33.9 threads per inch.
M6x1.0 has 25.4 threads per inch.
When screwed into a 28 threads per inch hole the metric nipples will spread or squeeze the threads together.

Hope this is not the problem. However this was discussed in some detail following my original post on 12/9/2008. Sorry, I don't know how to post a link to it.

There was a recall on GM barrels where they used the wrong tap cutting the threads. Some got by quality control and were recalled. The remaining ones were fitted with helicoils until people started complaining about a "new" barrel with a cobjob fix.

I got one of the helicoil barrels and was plagued with misfires until I noticed the helicoil was installed much too deeply and was blocking the flash channel.

If the nipple is loose I would not shoot it until it's fixed if you value your eyesight.

TOTW sells 1/4 X 28 nipples with oversize threads (up to 0.025" oversize), not sure where you get the oversize taps?

Madprofessor,Track sells the taps for the oversize nipples,but I think you have to buy the whole set .255-.285 5 or 6 taps for $60 some dollars.Not gonna do that.I was thinking of getting a .005 oversize nipple and just carefully threading it in.Really don't know what size to get.

Mad Professor said:
There was a recall on GM barrels where they used the wrong tap cutting the threads. Some got by quality control and were recalled. The remaining ones were fitted with helicoils until people started complaining about a "new" barrel with a cobjob fix.

I got one of the helicoil barrels and was plagued with misfires until I noticed the helicoil was installed much too deeply and was blocking the flash channel.

If the nipple is loose I would not shoot it until it's fixed if you value your eyesight.

TOTW sells 1/4 X 28 nipples with oversize threads (up to 0.025" oversize), not sure where you get the oversize taps?

If this is one of the bad barrels GM shipped, maybe sending it back to them is the answer. Check with them regarding the serial number to find out. You can do that with an email.

Rat Trapper,I already checked the recall # and mine is not in it.The threads in the bolster are undersized from abuse.I got the inside of the barrel cleaned up pretty good and when I went to put the nipple back in noticed it was wobbly until seated.I know I can put a new breech on it, but that would be another $100 installed.

No a helicoil barrel.

At the time it was my only go to BP hunting rifle so after I fixed the helicoil mess I shot a bunch of deer. GM said 3-4 months......and this is october......

It still shoots great but I have their email saved about sending it back for a proper plug. May take them up on it, then it will waste 50 rds sighting it in as well as is now. I wasted 100rds before I found the helicoil.....

Back