• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

loose front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kopp

40 Cal
Reaction score
The dovetail and front sight are very loose .. How can it tighten the dovetail from sliding without using epoxy ?

How can it tighten the dovetail from sliding
You need to remove the front sight and 'stake' it - which is accomplished by punching 'divots' in the bottom to slightly swell the sight base dovetail.

You need to support the sight blade in a vise wedged by two pieces of hardwood just above the dovetail so it is 'wedged' and held tightly but will not move down when you punch it.

Try a row of three punches centered and then reinsert the sight and you will probably find it is now tight. Don't hammer too hard as sights are fairly soft and it will 'divot' easily.

Lay about a 9/16ths socket across the dovetail and give it a couple light taps with a small hammer. It won’t take as much as you think so, tap and try, tap and try. Also, there will be no visible evidence of the repair when you’re done.

I've also taken a large nail (something big enough to span the dovetail) and laid it across and tapped it with a hammer. It will bend down slightly, the thin parts of the dovetail. Be careful not to wail on it too hard, you don't want to bend the ends down too much.

A third option would be to insert a BCS (beer can shim) in the female dovetail, under the sight's male dovetail.
Yep - I have done this myself except with brass shim sock.

If the shim is a little too thick it can be 'adjusted' by flattening it a bit with a hammer on a flat steel surface.

Last edited:
Tighten the dovetail by taking a small polished punch and carefully, with a small hammer, tighten down the top edge of the dovetail with the sight in place. The operative word is polished and carefully.
That worked for me on an 1851 Navy with a dove tailed front sight and the loading lever latch on another hand gun that had fallen completely out fortunately on the bench top..
Bunk

Use a brass punch or brass hammer and tap the edges of the dovetail to roll them inward slightly to tighten the dovetail

I’ve used a center punch to raise a few dimples in the bottom of the dovetail slot to create friction when pushing the sight into the slot. Once I sight in the firearm and don’t want the sight to move, a couple of center punches at the edge of the dovetail to push metal into the sight will keep it rock solid.

Back