• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loose front dovetail sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rfp10000

40 Cal
Reaction score
I noticed the front dovetail sight on a Pedersoli Remington 1858 Target revolver is loose.
Leaving aside any comments on this particular gun or Pedersoli , does anyone have any solutions they’ve used with this sort of problem.

The blade just floats out to the left or back to what looks like the correct position in the dovetail with the slightest pressure.
Oddly I have another Pedersoli gun with a rear dovetail that has been almost impossible to move.

Would you take the sight out of the dovetail to do this first part?
Definitely. Here are a couple photographs, guess worth a thousand words each. Should make it self explanatory.
1648951428077.jpeg
1648951452980.jpeg

Another common approach I've used (also suggested to me by TOW as what they normally do) is to "dimple the base of the barrel dovetail with a center punch in a couple of places (center of dovetail, not too near the outer edges). The dimpling pushes up enough steel to tighten against the sight base when you slide it in. If your dovetail edges are munged up, I do the trick with the socket. If the top of the dovetail is otherwise okay, I'd do the bottom dimpling. You could also dimple the bottom of the sight base, but that's trickier to do without messing up the sight. (Edit: Ah, I see this last suggestion is in the Brownell video.)

Another common approach I've used (also suggested to me by TOW as what they normally do) is to "dimple the base of the barrel dovetail with a center punch in a couple of places (center of dovetail, not too near the outer edges). The dimpling pushes up enough steel to tighten against the sight base when you slide it in. If your dovetail edges are munged up, I do the trick with the socket. If the top of the dovetail is otherwise okay, I'd do the bottom dimpling. You could also dimple the bottom of the sight base, but that's trickier to do without messing up the sight. (Edit: Ah, I see this last suggestion is in the Brownell video.)
Thanks … plenty of good stuff … I must have dropped the gun while it was in its padded case, probably in the car, and didn’t even notice it happening .

Back