• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

loose fit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdiem52

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 62 cal. smooth bore using a 595 round ball with patch when I load it is tight all the way down to about 4 inches from the bottom then it goes down a little easier is that good or do I have a problem,,,

Is there any indications of ringing on outside? A noticeable, visually of feel, hump where the loose fit starts.

I would expect that you have a ball that is a little too small. I've shot .62 smoothbores for years, and settled for a .600 ball in all of them as they worked best.

"Ringed" would just be a 1/4" to 1/2" "easy" section. If you last 4" is easier it may be bore smoothness or just your patch/wad getting worn down when seating it the length of the bore.

No worries. Shoot away!

When the breech plug is screwed into the end of a barrel, does that expand it at all? Curious minds want to know.

Seems like most of my rifles tend to do that, I suspect the ball and patch get seated in good, by the time they get to the breech. I used to wonder if my 1861 had progressive depth rifling in fact. In my barrels it does not suddenly get super easy the last four inches or so, just "easier"

I have never worried about it for sure. Just something that makes me go: "hmmmmmmmmmmmmm".

Yep, I'm going with the Stump theory, by the time the ball and patch get to the bottom, most of the squeezing is done, and the patch to bore fit probably get smoother, or "seated in". My 1861 does that for sure, but aside from wondering if it had progressive depth rifling (as mentioned) I really never gave it much thought. Hey, maybe it's a reverse choke, on the wrong end of the barrel. :)

How old is it? Could it be some form of erosion? Could it be lube left behind from a patch which 'wears out' as the ball passes down the barrel before it reaches full velocity?

That's not too unusual. I get the impression a lot of rifled and smooth barrels are very slightly constricted near the muzzle. When loading rifles the hardest part for me is getting the prb started with a short starter. From then on it's much easier. I use a .600" lead ball and 010" to .014"patch. With my .590" mold i use a much thicker patch. I never worry as long as the ball gets on the powder.

That's not too unusual. I get the impression a lot of rifled and smooth barrels are very slightly constricted near the muzzle. When loading rifles the hardest part for me is getting the prb started with a short starter. From then on it's much easier.
Good. I thought my rifle was the only one like that.

Once you push the ball or bullet past the muzzle, you change the size of the exterior diameter to make it conform to the shape and size of the barrel. Once the external diameter is changed, the ball or bullet will be easier to load.

Back