• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

loose barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just acquired a new T/C flintlock at the local gun show here. Didn't notice at the time but there is a slight lateral movement of the barrel in the channel. No more than 1/32 or so. What's the best way to cure this?

If you are not concerned with authenticity, then using a glass/epoxy bedding compound like Brownell's Acraglas Gel may be the best bet. (I don't recommend the "looser" standard acraglas kit for those who have not done much glass bedding, for a job like this.) Can give more info, if you have not done glass/epoxy bedding before.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...mmable-sku081014007-1038-43791.aspx?rrec=true

Glass bedding is my first choice. It will improve accuracy. You can also experiment with pasteboard shims on the two angled flats to make a v-block. Male two sets front and back to lock the barrel n the same spot under tension form the wedge. If the barrel is floppy in the channel accuracy will suffer.

lots of ways, however, try cutting a piece of paper towel and placing under the barrel.

fleener

Just acquired a new T/C flintlock at the local gun show here. Didn't notice at the time but there is a slight lateral movement of the barrel in the channel. No more than 1/32 or so. What's the best way to cure this?

I would use Brownells epoxy to bed the barrel channel, you can increase the channel mass, press to fit let it dry and sand it down to a fit.

I do this for a lot of used flintlock rifles and fowlers.

Its not an authentic way to restore a gun, however it works very well.

I wonder if it's a 15/16 barrel in a 1" channeled stock ? Sounds like someone might have done a barrel swap. More information needed.

The movement is caused by the barrel sliding around on the tenon that holds it in the channel. I recommend two things. First I've had tenons fall out. Fix this by cutting a slot in the tenon and the installing a small pin in the barrel channel that will keep that tenon from falling out. Secondly your going to have to put a small bend in that tenon so there is some pressure to keep things from moving. That's how I fixed my T/C back in the 70's.

Back