• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking to start out with a Percussion rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarylandML

32 Cal
Reaction score
I orignially wanted a nice flintlock however due to my not using a Muzzleloader in about 10 years I will start with a Percussion first. I have been really interested with getting a rifle for deer hunting, even more so I have been interested in getting a military arm. I have been thinking on a few and I wanted to collect some opinions and see who here has had some personal use of the rifles I am going to list off in a hunting role of use. I made up a list of rifles I am interested in and they are as follows.
P53 3 Band Enfield
Whitworth Rifle
Springfield 1861
P61 2 Band Enfield
These rifles can be reproductions although for all except the P61 and Whitworth I would like to get a decent original. Has anyone here ever used one of these four rifles for deer hunting. If so can anyone attest to how they handle and how accurate they are out to about 200 yards. Most of my deer hunting never goes past 150 yards but Id like to push that further. I thank everyone who replies to this thread. I know there was a thread posted earlier asking this same question more or less but I wanted to ask my own question and not piggyback and crowd someone else's thread. Once again thanks to all who reply.

Make sure you can secure powder and caps before getting any rifle to save disappointment unless you already have supplies. Where in Maryland are you?
I live in Darlington, Maryland in Harford County. I have about 10 lbs of 2F powder and about 6lbs of 3F powder. I have No.11, No.10 and Musket winged caps all on hand in ample supply.

I am trying to decide between a P53 or a Whitworth. I will most likely go for an original P53 and a repro whitworth lol. I want a flintlock but the percussion rifles are just so much more plentiful.

Percussions are simple creatures that don't ask for much. Even the cheapest caplock will normally function well enough for hunting or anything else for that matter. Military rifles usually are rather heavy - my .54 US M1841 weighs 10.5 lbs - so that may be something to consider...or not.

I orignially wanted a nice flintlock however due to my not using a Muzzleloader in about 10 years I will start with a Percussion first. I have been really interested with getting a rifle for deer hunting, even more so I have been interested in getting a military arm. I have been thinking on a few and I wanted to collect some opinions and see who here has had some personal use of the rifles I am going to list off in a hunting role of use. I made up a list of rifles I am interested in and they are as follows.
P53 3 Band Enfield
Whitworth Rifle
Springfield 1861
P61 2 Band Enfield
These rifles can be reproductions although for all except the P61 and Whitworth I would like to get a decent original. Has anyone here ever used one of these four rifles for deer hunting. If so can anyone attest to how they handle and how accurate they are out to about 200 yards. Most of my deer hunting never goes past 150 yards but Id like to push that further. I thank everyone who replies to this thread. I know there was a thread posted earlier asking this same question more or less but I wanted to ask my own question and not piggyback and crowd someone else's thread. Once again thanks to all who reply.
I don't think it wise to try to take game at long distances. Muzzle loaders are slow and what was a good shot at 150 or more yards turns into a bad shot if the animal moves before the round gets there.

Back