• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Looking to buy a revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brasilikilt

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all

I've never owned a BP revolver, but have wanted one for years. After reading an article in the current issue of Backwoodsman magazine, my attention has again shifted to them, and I figure now is as good a time as any to get one.
For now I'm trying to avoid brass frames, (the cheaper prices are very tempting!) and "half frames" meaning frames without the top strap over the cylinder......pistols w/o the top straps look as though you can break them in half!!
I also want a hefty and DURABLE "Clint Eastwood" sized pistol in a large caliber.
This Remington seems to fit the bill, even though it's more than what I want to spend
[url] http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=906[/url]
I'm sure some of you own this pistol....do you like it? Good gun for the price etc etc??

Another thing is that the wesite says that you need a .451 roundball, but I already have a .440 round ball mould for my rifle..........could I "get away" with using a .440 in this pistol, not blow myself up and still get decent accuracy?

Ahh.......I'm full of questions!

Please give me your feedback gentlemen, I'm all ears!

thanks
Iain

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old Lyman Remmington that I just bought. All I heard was to use .452 or .454 dia. round ball in it. Turns out, it works best with .457 dia. ball. As I am learning about this revolver, I think it depends on the gun on how it shoots and how well with what. You want to have a good seal in the cylinder so I wouldn't use a .440 ball. My opinion.

The gun is probably made by pieta and will do well. The .440 ball I would not use, a .451 is the smallest ball that I would use for a 44 cal pistol. :v

The .440 balls won't work. They will fall out of the cylinder.

The idea here is to use an oversize ball which when driven into the chamber will be sheared to exactly the chamber diameter. Then the little extra pressure on the loading lever not only compresses the powder but expands the ball so it is a tight fit.
There is no way the loading lever ram is going to expand the .440 diameter ball to a tight fit in the .450 diameter chamber.

This tight fit not only keeps the balls from falling out of the chamber, it prevents the flash from the chamber being fired from getting into the powder in the adjacent chamber.
Needless to say, if this happens, the adjacent chamber will fire creating what is known as "chain firing". Not a good way to start the day.

I might add here that some folks may be tempted to use the undersize balls with a patch to make the tight fit in the chamber.
IMO this is a bad idea. The front edge of the chamber is very sharp so it can shear the loaded ball to size when loading. This same sharp edge will cut the patch which, once again, can leave the powder exposed to the flash from the fired chamber.

The companys which make these C&B guns often recommend using a .451 diameter ball.
It has been my experiance that (as mentioned above) the .454 or the .457 balls work better. I've had some of the .451 diameter balls loosen up and move forward from the recoil of the gun.

The conventional wisdom is that the Remington is stronger, and I have to believe that is true. That said many people on this forum are happy with their Colt (open top) pistols.

I hesitated and wondered and read all the threads and finally bought a Colt clone from Cabela's last September. I just liked the looks better than the Remington, and I saw more Colts in the Civil War museums. I love it, but I have not had it long enough to tell you how long it lasts. Long term I certainly need one of each!

The other bit of conventional wisdom is to try various sizes of ball to see what works best, but always .450+ for a "44" revolver. I bought .451 and .454 intending to try both but the .451's are working well so I might never try the .454's. Seems that they would stress the loading lever more (people say that is an issue) and that they would leave more lead shavings to potentially jam the revolver. I will probably keep shooting the .451's until I get an incurable urge to experiment or until I get another gun and find out that it does poorly with .451's.

People argue Pietta versus Uberti versus "real" Colts. I got a Pietta from Cabelas and was very happy with the price, delivery, and the condition of the gun when it arrived. Zero problems so far.

You will love the gun, whatever you decide on!

I would check the fit to your hand if possible first. The grips are different and some find one revolver more comfortable than another.

I prefer the open top Colts, The Remington grips are a little big for me (I aint exactly a big guy).

Also follow the loading instructions carefully.
5 chambers going off at once can't be much fun (I like my fingers too much!!).

Just an opinion....

Legion

Top of the line is the Ruger old army, also has the biggest price. You may find a used one for $300

I wanted a Walker because of its Texas ties. You might consider it, but I am not sure it is the best new shooter gun. I am a new black powder person and can understand why it is not recommended, but I love mine anyway.

walker_target1.jpg

As for accuracy, the hole in the center is 2 cylinders of 50 grns of pyrodex, the hole on top is 1 cylinder of 60 grns and the 3 holes to the left are 55 grns aiming at the color transition between the 9 and 10 ring. Mine is a 2005 model and hits "point of aim" at 10 yards.

shot2.jpg

Here is an example of it firing.

Hey all thanks for the helpful info!!

How does the quality of Cabelas revolvers compare to those of Dixie GW? Are they made by the same companies Uberti and Pietta?

For some reason I didn't think the .440 balls would work, but it never hurts to ask "those who do"

The Walker Colt definitely sparked my interest, but it seems that most of them I see are more expensive than the 1858 new army models.

I also seem to have good luck with military weapons, they always seem to be the right size! For example, I have a Springfield armory WW2 GI .45 which fits my hand very comfortably......so it doesn't hurt that I start shooting it's older relative :)

About a year or two ago one of the major gun mags(American Handgunner?- I can't remember) had a write up on the Cabela's Remington and thought it was a good pistol at a great price.
One point to consider. If you have a gun shop in your area that carries both models, why not handle them and see which you like the better. The Remington has a stronger frame but it may be over engineered( if that makes sense). The Colts will hold up fine and some like the grip, action better. The barrel can be taken off for easier cleaning. The Remingtons usually win in the contests so I guess they are more accurate. I read somewhere that the Union army during the Civil War bought more Colts because they thought the finish, action was a little better- don't know if it is true. In the final analysis both are good pistols and a matter of individual choice.

Mine is a uberti and is very well made. The timing is nearly perfect as best I can tell and very nicely finished. I bought from Cabela's because of my good experience with the quality and return policies. I don't think I made a bad choice.

Again, if you can handle a big gun, this one is a heck of a lot of fun. Once I master it I can see getting two just for "show".

I just got off the phone with a guy at the Sportmans warehouse down the road..they're selling the 1858 steel framed Rem for $185
Anyone have a Traditions version of this gun?
Are they at least on the same level with the Italian brands??
So tempting when what you want is just down the street for pretty much the same price as the mail order place.

Any owners of the 1858 steel framed new army revolver care to chime in???

thanks
Iain

Ok, I have the following in Pietta:
1 1858 Deluxe Remington "as Issued" 45 cal. New Army by DGW
2 1858 Remington Target 45 cal. New Army
1 1858 Remington "as issued" New model Navy 36 cal. by Traditions

I also have a Uberty 1858 Remington "as issued" 45 cal. New Army

I've kept the above five revolvers because They've all been very accurate for my target shooting purposes. I've had bad luck (personal experience only here) with the three Colts I've used and dumped them.

I also have two Rugers that I favor as well, I like to use them for 100 yd targets. I do alot of target shooting (thousands of rounds per year) and need the stronger pistols with the top strap.

Not to belittle the Colts and the likes, I think they're handsome guns. They just don't do the job for me. So here's hoping I've not offended anyone, just my experience is all.

I've never owned a Remington revolver, but I've put a lot of rounds through an 1860 Army Colt clone and have been perfectly happy with it. Probably it's because I like cap'n'ball revolvers and read too much Zane Gray about gunfights with Colts when I was a boy. :haha: graybeard

I went to sportsman's warehouse and handled their 1858 Remington and discovered that Pietta makes the revolvers for Traditions.
They charge $185 for their steel frame and it feels just fine in my hands.......

Now I just need to work on my wife and try to come up with good reasons why I "need" another loud, clunky, antiquated weapon......I guess my 'ol Western Bowie knife needs a friend from the same era :)

thanks again for all your input

Iain

Brasilikilt said:
I just got off the phone with a guy at the Sportmans warehouse down the road..they're selling the 1858 steel framed Rem for $185
So tempting when what you want is just down the street for pretty much the same price as the mail order place.

thanks
Iain

It sounds like the same Remington revolver that I have but I bought mine at Log Cabin. Check out the timing before you buy it. Does the cylinder lock up tight where you need it to without any wiggle? Mine is nice and I like it a lot. And it didn't cost $300.00. This little test is good to use when buying any make of revolver. The manufacturers whether it be Uberti or Pietta has several makers in their employ and explains the variance in quality from one revolver to the other.

Brasilikilt said:

thanks
Iain

I have two '58 Remmingtons, one a Uberti and the other a Euroarms, both marketed by Lyman.
To answer your question though, the revolvers marketed by Traditions are of the Italian presuation I believe made by Armi San Marco.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I actually went down to Sportsmans Warehouse and handled their revolvers, turns out that they're made by Pietta.
I'll keep you guys posted if I get it or not

thanks

I have two '58 Remmingtons, one a Uberti and the other a Euroarms, both marketed by Lyman.
To answer your question though, the revolvers marketed by Traditions are of the Italian presuation I believe made by Armi San Marco.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint
[/quote] I also have a 1858 Remington by Lyman, and was wondering how you can tell who made it? I have no clue.

makattack said:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint
I also have a 1858 Remington by Lyman, and was wondering how you can tell who made it? I have no clue.
[/quote]

Most of the time this will be stamped either on the top flat of the barrel, or on the bottom flat under the loading lever.
The Euroarms are not marked, they have only the Lyman cartouch.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Back