• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Looking for Unique Target Ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any other paper ideas like SamTex suggested?
The range I worked at sold a paper target that was a white background printed with orange dots creating a spiral of ever decreasing size dots as one got to the center of the spiral. It used to frustrate a lot of good shooters, myself included. It probably has too many dots for a muzzleloader target, but something similar can easily be made. I will try to get a picture of it for you.

I done the flour filled Easter eggs that you mentioned in the OP.
I also bought a box of the small dove mini-clays that are 2.3 inches in diameter.
Any clay bird can be glued to some paper board or cardboard using a hot glue gun.
Reactive targets are a lot of fun if you don't mind a little bit of a mess.

Most of these ideas create a lot of trash and garbage.... who gets to pick it all up?

Try penny lollipops ... the kind with a rolled paper handle. You can get `em in party stores by the sack full. They're brightly colored, shatter when hit, and there's no cleanup involved ... the candy fragments melt in the next rain and the paper handles are biodegradable. Also, they're cheap.

Here is another idea from Hang Fast Targets for those that cast their own balls and like to reclaim their lead.
The bonus here is there is a big CLANG when you hit the target.
The tire captures about 99% of the lead too!!
The T Post can be used with the stand or just pounded in the ground.

MQdJKXl.jpg

Wish my eyes were as good as they once were. At a match with the lollipop targets, I regularly shot the stick and the whole lollipop went flying in the air. They refused to count the hits since I didn't shatter the lollipops. Wish I had those eyes back.

Don't know why that wouldn't count, you killed the lolli pop while still not destroying the goody for later.

Here is another idea from Hang Fast Targets for those that cast their own balls and like to reclaim their lead.
The bonus here is there is a big CLANG when you hit the target.
The tire captures about 99% of the lead too!!
The T Post can be used with the stand or just pounded in the ground.

MQdJKXl.jpg
Now here is an idea, captures the lead, brilliant, gotta build one of these. Thanks

The flower target from today's match. 15 balls. 2 in the pot and 1 for each other feature on the flower. 2 fers were allowed if you split the line. Had to fill up the flower before you could put any in the bull. 5 pts for each hit on a flower feature. Bull as scored in rings.
IMG_4083.jpeg

One year I questioned the hardiness of our plainsmen and mountain men and set up a Pepper Shoot as part of a novelty competition. Various types of peppers were hung on strings at a distance of around 20 yards or so. Points were accumulated if they hit each pepper but if they missed, they were required to eat the missed ones. As suspected, many wimps who took the "buy out" option to avoid eating the peppers which contributed more money to the club. And yes, I ate the peppers I missed hitting!

One year I questioned the hardiness of our plainsmen and mountain men and set up a Pepper Shoot as part of a novelty competition. Various types of peppers were hung on strings at a distance of around 20 yards or so. Points were accumulated if they hit each pepper but if they missed, they were required to eat the missed ones. As suspected, many wimps who took the "buy out" option to avoid eating the peppers which contributed more money to the club. And yes, I ate the peppers I missed hitting!

That would really be bad if you were shooting at the Carolina Reapers.

Anyway, attached are some fun targets and enjoy the video. My mouth burns just watching it.

Attachments

• Barney Target 1.jpg
    Barney Target 1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 50
  • barney_target.gif
    barney_target.gif
    48.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Hand Holding Target.pdf
    70.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Jackalope Target.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • Skunk Target.pdf
    282.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Turkey Target.pdf
    324.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Snake Target Game Rev 2.pdf
    542.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Dinosaur Target.pdf
    446.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Troll Target 4 Color.pdf
    746.4 KB · Views: 57
Pint bottles full of colored water, eggs, ice cubes (gotta work fast), old dinnerware (if you dont mind cleaning up glass) from a garage sale, Phone books and news paper (penetration test), spent 12ga shotshells standing on edge of a 2x4, standard white paper plates off hand at longer ranges (closest to center), although I'm partial to a rifle sight-in target with a small black dot in the center. I like to measure groups.

What about a dueling tree with different size plates.
Two shooters could go head to head using marksmanship and reloading skills to compete in an action packed "competition". No trash to pick up and set up is easier than hanging manure all over the place.
This Tree is rated for center fire rifle and is fully armored including the stand.
The stand is adjustable for terrain, hillsides and uneven ground. The center post can be adjusted side to side for "Plumb" and forward "reset" angle. Hang Fast Targets

P4nVlnU.jpg

I like to shoot the clock with friends.
We pick a distance based on the firearm limitation, 10 yards for pistols, 25 for free standing rifle, 100 or 200 for those "others"

Attachments

• CLOCK_BLACK_POWDER.pdf
    126.5 KB · Views: 79
He's one for folks using them new fangled, caplock revolvers. This if for a "timed" target event. You get two or more steel targets known as "pepper-poppers" as part of a five target "steel" run. Five pepper-popper by themselves is optimal, and how we did this.

You "set" the pepper-poppers so they ring but don't fall down. You put loose, cheap, polyester, knit hats on the "heads" of the pepper-poppers. When the shooter hits the popper between the lower circle and the hat, without hitting the knit hat, the soft lead ball splatters...some of the lead goes straight up into the hat, and the hat flies off the pepper-popper.

This is a timed event because you will see the shooters pause to watch the hat fly off...slowing the shooter down. :D They usually don't even realize they are "spectating" while they are also shooting, and getting a worse score than the guy who ignores the flying hats when he is shooting and goes as fast as the can while still hitting the targets. It's up to the match designer if you want to count scores that ring the pepper-poppers but don't move the hats off the tops. Again, the hats have to be really big and fit loose.

PEPPER POPPER HATS.jpg

LD

Latest posts

Back