• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for Tow ....help !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessmuck56

40 Cal.
Reaction score
wondering who you guys get your tow from ? Also looking for a good size piece of flint for fire making too. Thanks for any help.

although I am given to understand that "flea bay" is squarely anti2dA, there is a fellow selling one pound parcels for about twelve or thirteen dollars

2nd on tounsends. You can also gather substitutions from your area. I have no documentation for it's used from native plants but it's likely by those living or spending extra time far from linen sources.

As far as Flint, same places have some and it's possible to find something that works just as good from your area. Out here in some places I find Jasper, agate in others but have used basalt with good success also it just came down to finding the right edge on the rock

Jas. Townsend & Son sells four oz. bags for $5.50.

They sell hemp tow, and jute tow, not linen tow, which is what a lot of the old books are referring to..., but I don't think that matters much.

I'd recommend that you get a spool of jute twine, and use that, which also gives you ties for garden plants, depending on the "ply" you can get it small enough to attach things like your powder measure to your bag strap, or your bullet board, and you can very easily twist it into a thicker rope and use that cord for a military tin canteen strap, or to cinch a leather or cloth bag closed, or the close the top of an 18th century rucksack.

https://www.dickblick.com/items/62984-8544/

LD

You can get a lifes supply on ebay, does the jute work ok as a gun cleaning wad?

You can get a lifes supply on ebay, does the jute work ok as a gun cleaning wad?

As Loyalist Dave has stated (paraphrased), "Jute is Okay". I feel that the coarser tow (flax) fibers clean a bit better, but shredded jute twine is certainly a good and acceptable alternative cleaning material. Shredded jute twine is a great tinder for fire starting.

Nit Wit is in Maine. I may have to look for some at the Fort Massac Encampment in October 19 and 20. I have seen craftsmen demonstrating the processing of flax. Lots of tow available there.

Back