• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for the pistols used in the Andrew Jackson assassination attempt in 1835

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Stines

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I've been researching this for some time. On January 30, 1835 while President Jackson was leaving the funeral of Congressman Warren Davis on the east portico of the capitol, a lone assassin tried to fire two pistols at the old warrior. The percussion caps fired but both weapons misfired. Jackson lunged at his attacker with a cane and there was a pileup trying to wrestle the man to the ground. Congressman Davy Crockett was among them. The assassin was Richard Lawrence a mentally ill English immigrant. The pistols were recovered and produced at the trial as evidence.
Francis Scott Key was the prosecuting attorney. The guns were muzzleloaders and NOT SCREW BARREL as some have claimed. They MAY HAVE BEEN BOX LOCK THOUGH. Both were examined, unloaded, taken apart by a gunsmith reloaded and test fired and worked perfectly.
The guns were left to Lawrence by his late father. Brass barrels 6" long in .41 caliber smoothbore. Both were loaded with patched balls and "fine glazed dueling powder". The guns were originally flintlocks but were coverted to percussion by John D. Boteler a Washington DC gun and locksmith. It has been said that both pistols are in the Smithsonian but I sent them letters and e-mails. They won't confirm or deny having them. It was also said that the guns were test fired in 1935 but this is NOT confirmed. Another story has the pistols donated to the scrap metal drives in WW1 or WW2. Again not confirmed. If anyone has seen anything, magazine or newspaper items about these pistols CONTACT ME! If you have seen photos of these guns please share them. If you know of the actual whereabouts of these guns LET ME KNOW. NO JOKES, SERIOUS REPLIES ONLY.
I've had many false leads. This is for a potential book on the subject. Your help would be appreciated.

Best of luck on your quest, may you find all you need and your book sell well. It would contributed to the American history we so surely need to know. Dale

They are probably in a box at the smithsonian , on a back shelf, if they still exist. I would contact your state representative, tell them about your quest. Might open some doors....

You might contact the Hermitage in Nashville. Should you ever be in Nashville your time ,( a day) , at the Hermitage will be well spent.
Dave
Thanks for the message. I contacted the Hermitage and they mentioned a letter in the collection that briefly referred to it. I'm waiting for my copy. Jackson accused Sen. George Poindexter of hiring the assassin. They had been on good terms for years but Poindexter had a falling out with Old Hickory. He had to testify before congress of his innocence. He hired Lawrence to do some house painting work but that was all. I have a copy of the trial and newspaper accounts from the time. FWIW Lawrence was found "not guilty by reason of insanity". He was committed to mental asylums for the of his life. He died in 1861.

Be sure to mention you are writing a book. And be sure the politicians you contact are pro gun. This sounds like a great story in the making. I’ve read they accidentally find things that were lost in the store rooms there for years. They probably don’t even know what they have....

Please keep us posted with your findings and any writings that you may produce . I have lived a little over a hundred miles from the Hermitage all my life (70) and just visited ther a couple years ago. Look forward to going back.
Dave

Thank you for your support. I helped Tim and Terry Todish with their book ALAMO SOURCEBOOK 1836 and I learned a LOT about the process. It was fun and challenging to put it all together.

Back