• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for something new

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a leather worker by hobby, making mostly bags, pouches, holsters and other accessories. I’m looking for suggestions or needs that will give me a chance to do some research and move into some new projects. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Double Pouch Shooting Bag.
Upland Game Shooting Bag.
Functional Leather Haver Sack w/wo tomahawk sheath built in
Knife Sheaths for 7” & 8” knife blades
Adjustable Rifle Slings

I am a leather worker by hobby, making mostly bags, pouches, holsters and other accessories. I’m looking for suggestions or needs that will give me a chance to do some research and move into some new projects. Any ideas would be welcomed.

I need a pipe bag/ tobacco pouch.

If it looked like something from the rocky mountain fur trade era that would be great.

At least 12" long. Maybe 5" or 6" wide.

Adjustable Rifle Slings
I like the haversack idea, I will get on that this week.
I have done a lot of knife sheaths but I generally need the knife or a scale drawing .
thanks for the input.

FWIW, I've long made small (1"x1") thonged leather squares to seal off my percussion ignition channels during storage, and tampions to seal off the muzzles.

The thong is loped around the hammer, the leather held atop the nipple, then the hammer dropped down onto the leather.

Very helpful for me, when storing a loaded (ball/powder) frontstuffer at the end of a hunting season.

No foreign object (or critters) in my bores. ;)

nvRWMg5l.jpg

I've been doing leather work as a hobby for over 30 years, I'll give you an idea of what I've made that doesn't sell well and what does.
The don'ts:
Sheathes
belts
small medicine bags
Beaded items (time-consuming)
Gun sleeves, scabbards, and cases (unless custom ordered).
The do's:
Mocs
fur hats
leather garments, pants, shirts, leggings, coats.
Shooting bags
Probably a few I've forgotten but that covers most of it.

Adjustable Rifle Slings
I finished a nice haversack with detachable cloth inner bag. It came out great except…dang I put the shoulder strap on backwards and it has a rivet. I’ll finish it after I drill the rivets out and post an image.

I finished a nice haversack with detachable cloth inner bag. It came out great except…dang I put the shoulder strap on backwards and it has a rivet. I’ll finish it after I drill the rivets out and post an image.
Fixed the strap problem and finished the bag, doesn’t have tomahawk or knife sheath but it was a first model leather haversack

Attachments

• F9038F2A-6698-4099-8ED6-6E442280D4B1.jpeg
    F9038F2A-6698-4099-8ED6-6E442280D4B1.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 72DD6ADF-678A-4E4E-AC78-21A6F5F01D80.jpeg
    72DD6ADF-678A-4E4E-AC78-21A6F5F01D80.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 68803080-F482-46CC-93AB-F30683592D1A.jpeg
    68803080-F482-46CC-93AB-F30683592D1A.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 0
Maybe true colonial style shot pouches/possibles bag? Lotta folks slap together their own idea of them, but real historical ones are hard to find to replicate.

Back