• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Looking for something a bit better....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozz

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new here. Actually never had much of an interest in muzzle loading. But my son wanted a kit for Christmas, so we picked up a Traditions Flintlock kit built it and we both are enjoying shooting it very much.

But, I'm looking for something a bit better with respect to the flintlocks. The trigger mechanism in his rifle is very crude. I was wondering what is out there (and it doesn't have to be a kit) that is a bit more robust in the internals.

Thanks,
Paul

Check out the Lyman muzzle loaders. Still factory guns but of much better quality than Traditions. I own a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. It's a nice rifle.

I also hear a lot of good things about the guns from Pedersoli. I don't have any experience with the latter but I have handled a couple and they seem to be well made.

Both of these are of good quality and can be had for modest prices and will serve you well.

Thanks for the heads up. I had looked at Lyman. I would love to get my hands on one before I bought.

Thanks for the heads up. I had looked at Lyman. I would love to get my hands on one before I bought.

Could probably find one at a Cabelas/Bass Pro or maybe a local gun shop to be able to check out. Maybe consider finding a local muzzleloader club or a rendezvous in your area.

Howdy, Ozz, welcome to the forum from eastern Tennessee. I'm assuming that you must be a wizzard?! I have a Pedersoli flintlock .50 cal that I got from Cabelas. It was in my price range and am happy I got it. It's a great shooter. I got the frontier or blue ridge model.

If you like half stock guns the GPR seems to be the way to go. I haven't had one as I prefer full stock guns. But, I've never heard anyone complain about the accuracy or quality of their GPR, that I can remember.
If you like full stock guns, and I'm assuming we're talking production guns here, the Pedersoli Frontier/Blue Ridge seems to be the way to go, I had one in .45 and it was very accurate and well made. Mine was a caplock, I have heard some negativity regarding the lock quality of their flintlocks. My buddy has the Pedersoli "Kentucky" and it has been very good to him.

Maybe try a drop in upgraded trigger on the rifle you have now? Davis may make em? I have a traditions .50 flintlock and the trigger is acceptable in mine. It's OLD though.

L&R Locks makes replacement locks for the CVA/Traditions in flint and percussion. These are a step up, some say way up, but these may not be a simple drop in. You may have to remove some wood in the lock mortise or shorten the sear arm.

The rpl lock will be cheaper than a new firearm.

Search for lr-rpl for the web site.

The only thing I don't like about my GPR is the coil spring in the lock. Kinda takes away from the old timiness of the gun. But it works we'll enough though.

L&R Locks makes replacement locks for the CVA/Traditions in flint and percussion. These are a step up, some say way up, but these may not be a simple drop in. You may have to remove some wood in the lock mortise or shorten the sear arm.
This L+R Locks do they make just locks or do they make the triggers too?
The rpl lock will be cheaper than a new firearm.

Search for lr-rpl for the web site.

The next step up would be Pedersoli. If you want better than that you have to build it yourself. Or pay someone else to.

Hi all,
I'm new here. Actually never had much of an interest in muzzle loading. But my son wanted a kit for Christmas, so we picked up a Traditions Flintlock kit built it and we both are enjoying shooting it very much.

But, I'm looking for something a bit better with respect to the flintlocks. The trigger mechanism in his rifle is very crude. I was wondering what is out there (and it doesn't have to be a kit) that is a bit more robust in the internals.

Thanks,
Paul

Pecatonica River sells locks, stocks, barrels. Check them out

Chambers makes the best semi-finished kits on the market, but again, it's more money, and they have a rather limited selection of styles.

As mentioned above are all excellent replies.

Question’s to recap:

1. First would be financial! As mentioned above, Lyman Trade Rifle or maybe a GPR? Better yet Pedersoli BlueRidge or Frontier. The BlueRidge can be had for around $650 give or take. They’re better in quality than the Lyman gun’s. I personally own everything I’ve mentioned above.

2. Halfstock or Fullstock? Lyman =Halfstock and Pedersoli =Fullstock.

3. Trigger and Lock quality would definitely go to Pedersoli! If you consider a Lyman GPR, I would consider buying a set of Davis DeerSlayer triggers. It’ll run ya around $50 give or take? I’ve dropped them in a couple of GPR’s I own. Totally transforms that rifle! Pedersoli is perfect right out of the box my friend. Nothing to really tinker with.

Bottom line is, what can you afford?

Lyman and Pedersoli can be had between $450 to $650 range new out of the box. Pedersoli on the higher end of course. Pedersoli is a better quality rifle.

Anyway, I’d give my nod to Pedersoli as first choice. Lyman second. Both are good rifle’s my friend.

It all boils down to what you’re able to spend? You get what you pay for generally speaking.

Lyman or Pedersoli are reasonable in price for their quality. I wouldn’t turn my nose up on either. Seen both win to many matches to do so!!

Good luck my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Back