• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

looking for shooting bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemart17

36 Cal.
Reaction score
looking for a shooting bag for my new gun. looked at totw, traditions, the possible shop. is there any good sources im missing to look at.

I have an October country that I bought in ”˜76, it’s still good. I have several OC pouches& :thumbsup::thumbsup: to them. I’ve never gotten anything from Track of the Wolf that I haven’t been compleatly sastified with and I use them as a go to. I would also recommend Turkey Foot traders for one of a kind products, their hand work is very good.

tdoyka said:
http://www.bullsbag.com/15_Camo_Suede_s/28.htm

Are you sure that's the link you wanted to post?

Don't see any shooting bags at all there- It's all modern benchrest stuff from what I can see.

If you do decide to make a bag, not too hard, think well made. When I got in to the sport we thought a lot about primitive and crude or rough. Commercial made bags was common.

BrownBear said:
tdoyka said:

Don't see any shooting bags at all there- It's all modern benchrest stuff from what I can see.

A shooting bag is a bag used to rest a gun on usually while shooting off a bench. The OP probably should have used the terms hunting pouch, shot pouch, etc. (assuming that's what he really was looking for).

hawkeye2 said:
BrownBear said:
tdoyka said:

A shooting bag is a bag used to rest a gun on usually while shooting off a bench. The OP probably should have used the terms hunting pouch, shot pouch, etc. (assuming that's what he really was looking for).

he said shooting bag, not shooting pouch.

Occasionally there's a shoulder bag at a charity resale shop or somewhere that would work great.
:haha:
Never have got one but been tempted a couple few times. Would probably lose it when I got home though!

If you have the ability, construct your own. Much can be said by making ones own accoutrements. Study some period examples and have at it. Making a bag is not a hard task at all.

tenngun said:
If you do decide to make a bag, not too hard, think well made. When I got in to the sport we thought a lot about primitive and crude or rough. Commercial made bags was common.
Please remember that only a few bags we have are from the 18th century. The majority of surviving bags are of 19th century provenance. That isn't to say you can't make an 18th century bag, but keep it small and simple - not one of those over-sized carry-on handbags people keep making and filling with every conceivable thing, whether it is needed or not (mostly not).

Not larger than 8x8", flap with or without a button and a simple leather strap. Square/rectangular/D-shaped with or without a gusset. ONLY for the supplies to shoot and care for your gun - not your lunch, not the CO2 discharger, not the kitchen sink. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

That isn't to say you can't make an 18th century bag, but keep it small and simple - not one of those over-sized carry-on handbags people keep making and filling with every conceivable thing, whether it is needed or not

I agree that the rifleman's bag of the AWI was not the same as the "possibles" bag (if there really was such) of the fur trapping era...,

But I know of one depction of a Rifleman of the AWI from the Anne SK Brown collection, and his bag is pretty large..., bigger I'd estimate, than 8" x 8". You can see what may be a powder measure hanging on his bag-strap too.

I layed out what I wanted to carry to support my rifle for couple of weeks in the field, and added a small compass, and then made the bag to fit that stuff. So there's a tiny lead ladle, and a mold, in addition to tools, a patch knife and small stone, ball, flints, grease, and a cleaning string.

LD

Check out the CONTEMPORARY LONG RIFLE ASSOCIATION,Always a bunch of them on there made by quality artisans. R.C.

Loyalist Dave said:
But I know of one depction of a Rifleman of the AWI from the Anne SK Brown collection, and his bag is pretty large..., bigger I'd estimate, than 8" x 8". You can see what may be a powder measure hanging on his bag-strap too.
While difficult to judge from the primitive nature of the illustration - lets assume the hawk blade is ~6" across (based upon a modern reproduction), then the bag is right at 8x8 inches.

check this out on ebay (it looks good)

BLACK POWDER MUZZLELOADING PRIMITIVE BISON LEATHER POSSIBLES BAG made in usa

PRIMITIVE BISON LEATHER BLACK POWDER POSSIBLES BAG (NEW)

Primitive Bison Leather Possibles Bag to fit the need of the long hunter who wants a bag that looks like it was made in the wilds of colonial american back in the 18th century.

This simple one pocket design is a careful recreation of an original surviving bag from the Madison Grant Book of original hunting bags page 22.

This bag measures 9" wide by 8 1/2" high which is about as big as original bags got back in the day.

A four inch wide pocket is sewn to the inside back of the bag to hold ball starter, powder measure, primer, etc.

The bag has a 1 1/4" all leather adjustable strap.

All edges are plain with no binding and the flap has the primitive look of being hand cut with primitive tools for a realistic original looking bag.

Our Bison leather adds to this look with its unique grain and texture.

MADE BY THE LEATHERMAN

$129.95

Latest posts

Back