• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Looking for shooting bag patterns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNBandit

40 Cal
Reaction score
I don't expect y'all who make this type of stuff to give up your secrets but I've been making things with leather for many years just for friends and family, mainly carved belts, wallets, pocketbooks and that sort of thing. I have some nice leather that already has a finish on it I got somewhere along the line and I'd like to make myself a shooting bag out of. Not going to be competition for anyone and only making 1 for myself. Anybody got any good patterns for a small simple bag they wouldn't mind sharing ? Thanks

The bag I just made, I found the pattern on the second page of the How-to section on this site. I added an extra pocket on the inside, I don't recommend it. I did put one on the outside of the back panel and it seems like it will be handy.

The bag I just made, I found the pattern on the second page of the How-to section on this site. I added an extra pocket on the inside, I don't recommend it. I did put one on the outside of the back panel and it seems like it will be handy.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

I just made my own based on the size and shape of bags I already like. Then added or omitted features i do or do not need.
By looking at pictures of bags you like you can draw the shape on heavy paper (I use old heavy manilla file envelopes cut along the edges to make a flat single layer) and adjust the size for your hand. Fold the paper in half and draw half the shape, you now have a centerline for the other pieces (pockets and such), and cut it out then unfold it. Do this for a front panel, back panel, pockets, etc. Just fold the next piece of paper in half and fold the 1st piece (front or back panel) around it so the center lines match up, and draw the next piece.

Last edited:
5EDEE150-F765-4AEA-8345-992D97FFED76.jpeg
15FC2A39-8768-4C1C-8E89-57F96631666D.jpeg
5EDEE150-F765-4AEA-8345-992D97FFED76.jpeg

Attachments

• 31CE6382-E1CD-46AB-A7BF-C83AD7621ADC.jpeg
    31CE6382-E1CD-46AB-A7BF-C83AD7621ADC.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 83
Just made this one about 7x7. Simple cut 8x 8 square then at the top a 1/2 inch scallop with an 9x8 top
Then an 8x8 square to sew on front. Round the bottom of the square. Sew and turn inside out. Easy peasy. I used 5oz vegitan then waxed with bees wax.
I put a lining in it but I can’t document that such a thing had been done in the past, but I could sew a pocket in to it with out sewing through the body. And had left over cloth from a pair of britches.
Then a simple strap of leather 4 inches long sewed on with a loop and a ring. The shoulder strap sewn to the ring.
Dualist 1954 on you tube and a member of the forum has a great bag I wish I had seen before I made my last one,

Back