• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for real BP in Houston, TX/group order?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okto

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have never seen it on shelves around here, and the current panic buying is making it worse.
Does anyone know of a local supplier, and/or would anyone be interested in splitting a bulk order from Powder.com? I won’t be able to burn 5 pounds on my own in two years.

Powder merchants are restocking now. Buffalo just got in more powder.
The cheapest is Grafs house brand made by GOEX. They are also the
cheapest for HAZMAT & shipping in my experience. Many years ago
I lived in Houston/Pasadena. Great gun shops, had everything including
Black Powder. Today, think about Grafs if you can wait some. The others
might be faster but cost more.

I do not prefer it, but Pyrodex is available everywhere in two granulations R/S (Rifle Shotgun) and
P which is 3f granulation. Very good power but also corrosive. For Black powder, get some ffg,
fffg and a can of ffffg. Get extra if you can afford it. In some places you can only have 1 lb. But
in Texas I'm sure you can have plenty. Stock up a little because future supply is not guaranteed.

Powder merchants are restocking now. Buffalo just got in more powder.
The cheapest is Grafs house brand made by GOEX. They are also the
cheapest for HAZMAT & shipping in my experience.
Thanks for this! $16.50 HAZMAT fee pretty much just secured my business with Graf’s for anything that goes boom.
It looks like they’re out of pretty much everything in 2F and 3F, but I signed up to be notified when they’re back in stock so hopefully that won’t be too long a wait.

If you are look for BP on the shelves(literally) you're not going to find it. By law they are not allowed to keep it on the shelves, you need to as. They have strict requirements to store real BP.

I checked the Goex dealer locator for Texas, google Buffalo Sporting Goods in Buffalo or Full Mag in White House, if you are interested in making a road trip.

I'd call first. They may be out or not even sell it. The GEOX dealer locater in not accurate or at least where real BP is located. It told me of 3 places near me and none sell and some never had ever sold BP.

If you are look for BP on the shelves(literally) you're not going to find it. By law they are not allowed to keep it on the shelves, you need to as. They have strict requirements to store real BP.
To carry on with this, if anyone wants to call a gun store to ask if they have real black powder for sale, they should ask to talk to the store owner or manager first.

Because black powder must be locked in a approved storage container, often store clerks don't even know the store has it for sale.
The store owner or manager will know.

I have never seen it on shelves around here, and the current panic buying is making it worse.
Does anyone know of a local supplier, and/or would anyone be interested in splitting a bulk order from Powder.com? I won’t be able to burn 5 pounds on my own in two years.

Better buy a lifetime supply from whoever has some in stock and have it shipped to your house while it’s still legal to do so, and at a reasonable price, while it’s still legal to do so. Shelf life is pretty much indefinite, and it will not get any cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call Bass Pro in Pearland. When I get in a pinch for BP, I have bought from them. They stock Goex. Kinda fun to go to the gun counter an ask for it, just to see the looks on their faces. Apparently, it is locked up in a separate building and they have to go a ways and jump through a couple of hoops to get to it. 🤣

Resist the urge to call it "real" black powder. It's black powder. Pyrodex or 777, call it by their proper name. Sort of like "real" butter, or "real" ice cream, or "real" maple syrup.

Right - but then you have to correct them in the error of their ways. Words mean things. Maybe "Goex" gets the point across. Most smokeless powders are "black", but that doesn't mean they belong in muzzleloaders or cap & ball revolvers, as many people have found out the hard way. It's just sad we have to add "real" on to common words to avoid confusion.

Call Bass Pro in Pearland. When I get in a pinch for BP, I have bought from them. They stock Goex.
Good to know! I’ve bought Pyrodex from them, surprised nobody knew about the black powder, but I guess if it’s that much of a hassle most employees might not even know.

Resist the urge to call it "real" black powder. It's black powder.
True, but much like when I want butter and don’t want to talk about whether margarine is butter, I specify up front when there’s a common alternative option.

I want butter and don’t want to talk about whether margarine is butter

Funny you mention that, I recall one time had a roommate in the .mil, was going to the store - asked "want me to pick anything up for you?" "Yeah pick up some butter". You can see where this is going, right? To add insult to injury, he was from South Dakota, and raised beef cattle - Charolais. Yup, he came back with one of those g&@$mned tubs of axle grease.

"Oh. You wanted *real* butter?" $&@!!! Yeah dumbass. I'm not a snob, margarine just doesn't work for some things. And it ain't healthy. Some states, dairy states anyway, pretty much outlawed margarine for a while. Or they made laws saying it couldn't be colored yellow. Had to be sold in its natural state. So the margarine retailers included a yellow dye packet for the consumer to mix it up.

Back