• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveC

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from a muzzleloading novice down in S. Texas.

I'm just getting started, and all I can find for sale retail are black powder substitutes, e.g. 777 for the most part. I'm going to go farther afield, up to the Hill Country and San Antonio in Central Texas, but does anyone know off-hand if there is bona fide black powder available retail anywhere around those parts?

Seems like Bass Pro/ Cabelas and so on stock Pyrodex and 777 and substitutes like that. At some point I'll have to get Schützen or Goex or something like that shipped, but I'd like a smalller quantity to try out before I make a bulk buy. :idunno:

Much obliged. --D.

Contact Graf & sons, and Powder Inc. about ordering 5 lb. lots. They will ship any combination of powders you desire, and you will save some money- but not nearly as much if you were to buy a 25 lb. case.

Go up on the index page to this forum to " Member Resources" Towards the bottom of that box, you will find " Articles, Charts, and Links". Click on Links. It will give you a long list of suppliers. There is a separate section for Powder suppliers. Click on any name and it will take you to the website, and catalog. You can get both email addresses, street addresses, and phone numbers to call there. There is a supplier located in Louisiana, named Jerry's Powder Keg, that McKeal found that seems to have the best prices. Look through this thread over the past few months for other posts about powder prices. You will find a chart that he put on the forum about a year ago, when he took the time to call all these suppliers, and get their prices on powder of different brands. Goex's new plant is located in louisiana, and I bet Jerry's simply saves money by buying their powder directly from the factory in bulk, as a distributor.

As to retail sales, retailers are forbidden by law from putting BP out on the floor for display. Most don't save old, empty powder cans, to use on display, either.

So, You have to ask, and usually that means ask the right person, to find it for sale in a local store. Check Cabelas, and Walmart, and other outdoor stores, first by calling them on the phone and asking if they carry the powder in their safe. Its usually kept locked up in the back room in these places. Its NOT CHEAP, either.

The other course to take is locate a local BP gun club( using the NMLRA website to locate Charter clubs) and use personal contacts with other club members to find black powder, and to try the various brands you desire.

If you tell us the make and caliber, and length of barrel on your gun, and whether you are shooting PRB or bullets, we can help you pick both a powder and a powder charge that will get you in the ballpark.

If you haven't bought it yet, invest $20.00 in Dutch Schoultz's Black Powder Accuracy system. The information he provides will go a long way to finding an accurate load in your gun(s). Its the best $20.00 investment you can make on your education in this sport.
http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

Welcome to the forum. :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for your recommendations--I appreciate it.

I have been reading Mr. Dutch Schoultz's site, and I had thought about the accuracy system.

The rifle I will be starting with shortly is a factory-mfr./Ardesa/Traditions Kentucky .50 percussion. I was going to start with .490 PRB and pillow-ticking patches, cut to size during loading. The rifle ostensibly has a 1 in 66" twist (I sure hope so!)

Looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

DaveC,
If you venture into San Antonio, Bass Pro Shop on west bound IH 10 just north of Loop 1604 has it. Last time I bought some it was about $21.00/LB. Don's Gun Shop at LP 410 and Fredericksburg Rd. have it as well. I think it runs $22.00/LB. Where abouts in South Texas are you?
:hatsoff:
Craig

Howdy Seg05.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm much obliged. I figured there had to be a place in Santone that sold it "over the counter" so to speak. That is great you are in New Braunfels. I was privileged to go to an off-topic rifle match there where the oldest schuetzenverein in the State of Texas is at. Talk about history!

I'm all the way down, as in "it may not be the end of the earth, but you just might make it out from down here..." which is to say McAllen/ "Nuevo Santander." I typically shoot in Pharr or Donna.

Cheers/Saludos,
D.

No problem man. San Antonio is a pretty good hike from McAllen. End of the earth is about right. Anyhow, I now know for a fact that Don's Gun's has Goex powder, along with a good supply of other muzzleloading needs and a couple of good looking rifles hanging on the wall. I was just there this morning and picked up a few things for the Navy Arms 12 ga I got in a trade yesterday.
The rifle range you mentioned is still out there in "Dietzville" and they still have an annual shoot.
:thumbsup:
Craig

Howdy Craig. Excellent advice. I had a hard drive around Central Texas what with all the rain and flooding roads and so on, but I did get some Goex powder, shot, and other essentials at D & L's up there in San Antonio. Thank you for the recommendation. Now I can try a couple different variables in developing some loads before I go with a big bulk order. :thumbsup:

Yes, Don's Gun Shop at 3724 N.W. Loop 410--Loop 410 and Frederick's Road, San Antonio de Béxar, Texas 78229

(210) 736-0263

Most of what I'm reading about PRB in a .50 cal. muzzleloader suggests FFg powder, but some guys I shoot with say that I should not overlook or discount FFFg, especially in smaller target-type loads. So I wanted to try both before I make a bulk order. I was able to get a can of both [GOEX] and some other important accoutrements and odds and ends, .490" and .495" balls, a type of solvent I'd been interested in trying out, and also the opportunity talk to highly knowledgeable and experienced muzzleloader folks too. While I do enjoy San Antonio for a variety of reasons, this visit was definitely the high point of this trip. :hatsoff:

Dave Do or did you shoot with us in Pharr. We have a match next Sunday at 9A if you are around. We can point you in all the right directions hopefully. Definately where to get Balls, patches, and powder plus a few pointers.
The above places in San Antonio do carry Blackpowder supplies but I can't quote prices. We get powder for under $14.
Get in contact with me.
Fox :thumbsup:

Hello Fox,

Yes, I am a member out at Pharr. I have shot a couple times with y'all thanks to my shooting buddy's generosity.

I hope to make the next match too, but I might be at an off-forum type of shooting event that same day, which might conflict.

See you soon.

Best, --Dave

Howdy Dave...
Glad you got to get up to San Antonio. Sorry about the weather...I saw it coming and stayed at the house :blah: . I've never seen that street refered to as "Frederick's Road"...and I was born and raised in Fredericksburg!!
Good luck with your load development. I shoot FFF in my .54...only because I had 2 1858 revolvers first and had the powder. It works fine.

Back