• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Looking for pictures of "trigger bar" style

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruzer1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for some good pictures of "trigger bar" style (not snapping) matchlocks from the 16th century. I can find plenty of pictures of them profilled on the lock side but I am having real problems finding many pictures from below and/or the non-lock sides.

Specifically I would really like a picture of the bottom of one with a trigger bar. Does the bar come directly out the wood or is there a plate there?

So can anyone post pictures or links? I am trying to figure out a few details on them for my early 1500's Spanish hacubuche.

Thanks!

Hi Kruzer.

Boy, can't be of much help here. The photos I have, or have seen, don't really show a pic from the bottom. But for an "early" 1500's piece I would think it would protrude simply through the wood. And that is what my aging memory seems to recall.
Rick

For what little it is worth, I have a copy of a 17th century trigger bar style matchlock and the bar just protrudes from a slot in the wood.

c383a83e08f8c07f97a0427eea830008.jpg

From Pinterest ...

Last edited by a moderator:
'ello Squire!

Where did that photo come from? My Leonard Day matchlock looks almost exactly like the second one down. Any idea on the provenance? Thanks.

British Military Firearms 1650 - 1850
Howard Blackmore, page 33

Second down is Matchlock musket with trigger lock. English, probably by John Watson, c.1630

No I had not seen that... Beyond great close-ups of some great matchlocks. Had no idea they made combo snapping/sear matchlocks.

yes the gismo on the INDIAN made ones is a safety, so you don't accidentally hit the bar trigger and have it fire prematurely.

Well, it looks like a few of us have a slightly different name or such these days. :)

Re sear locks; yes, some have escutcheons or plates, and some don't, and we can 'never' say never or always.

The link ChrisPer posted above is the best there is for this sort of thing, but unless policy has changed, I didn't think we were supposed to post links to other M/L forums....maybe that site Isn't , per se.
BTW, Where's your Joey, Chris?

Hello also Rick! I'm back, sort of..

Back