• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Looking for my first flintlock...Pedersoli?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birddog1911

40 Cal
Reaction score
I've decided that I need a flintlock in my life. Of course, there is a hell of a lot to learn. And, I have to decide what to get!

I'm looking at the Pedersoli Frontier Deluxe Maple Flintlock. I'm familiar with Pedersoli, from my Sharp's. Sure, I could look at other brands and models for less money, but I do love that curly maple.

Would this be a good choice? What else do I need to think about? I am considering .50, but it will really just be for fun and learning, so should I consider a different caliber?

Now, off to learn more!

Or you could look at other rifles for a lot more money. You can't go wrong with a Pedersoli, they are priced fairly for the quality you get in a production rifle. If just shooting for fun, go with a smaller caliber if available. Save on lead and powder.

I bought a Walnut stocked Pedersoli Frontier in .45 caliber last year. Really wanted a .32 caliber, but none were available and didn't look like they were going to be making any soon. I bought a Pedersoli breech plug and sent it to Rice. and Jason made me a .32 barrel using the Pedersoli plug. Now I have two barrels for one stock. The barrel is not pinned to the stock on the Frontier, screws through the thimbles, but that works great for my purpose and a quick barrel change. I know you are looking at the deluxe maple, but Midway USA has some great prices on the walnut stocked Frontier rifles.

Plus one for the pedersoli curly maple stocks.
IMG_0434.jpg

20210707_221518.jpg

The Pedersoli Frontier/Blue Ridge is a fine rifle for the money. I got a few of them in percussion and flint. The flint rifle is just as quick and reliable as any custom rifle I own or have seen in person, including some really high end stuff. I am not a good shot anymore (eyes can't see rear sight), especially with a flintlock, but my Frontiers will bust a clay pigeon at 50 yards off hand all day long, which is good enough for what I do.

A few upgrades I recommend, which are pretty cheap, are these. Get a real hickory ramrod, the factory supplied one will break. The factory front sight is horrible. It is very thick and dark, fills the entire rear notch and then some. Drive it out and replace it with a 3/16" tall thin silver blade. Also, drill the touch hole out to 1/16", I found that improved ignition to nearly 100%. I have removed to factory plastic looking finish (polyurethane?), and refinished with boiled linseed oil. Not necessary, but I like the look better. Are the Pedersoli's as authentic as a custom job? Nope. But you are paying one 1/3 to 1/10 the price of a custom rifle. I really like the easily removeable barrel for cleaning, not really how it was done, but a nice feature that does not detract from the appearance.

The Pedersoli Frontier/Blue Ridge is a fine rifle for the money. I got a few of them in percussion and flint. The flint rifle is just as quick and reliable as any custom rifle I own or have seen in person, including some really high end stuff. I am not a good shot anymore (eyes can't see rear sight), especially with a flintlock, but my Frontiers will bust a clay pigeon at 50 yards off hand all day long, which is good enough for what I do.

A few upgrades I recommend, which are pretty cheap, are these. Get a real hickory ramrod, the factory supplied one will break. The factory front sight is horrible. It is very thick and dark, fills the entire rear notch and then some. Drive it out and replace it with a 3/16" tall thin silver blade. Also, drill the touch hole out to 1/16", I found that improved ignition to nearly 100%. I have removed to factory plastic looking finish (polyurethane?), and refinished with boiled linseed oil. Not necessary, but I like the look better. Are the Pedersoli's as authentic as a custom job? Nope. But you are paying one 1/3 to 1/10 the price of a custom rifle. I really like the easily removeable barrel for cleaning, not really how it was done, but a nice feature that does not detract from the appearance.

Apologies for digressing from the thread but if you're not opposed to it, you could put a rear tang peep on in place of the rear sight or even a scope. No one could hold that against you if it keeps you shooting 100 yards!

I also am very pleased with my Pedersoli shotgun. The advice on the stock ramrod being under-executed is also my experience, but definitely not a showstopper for me at all. I’m also seeing some wear on my nipples that seems premature for how much I’ve shot it. There’s a lot of good stuff though. Not one mis-fire yet. It’s pretty and feels good in my hands. Everything besides the ramrod has worked as expected and operates smoothly. Swings better than any shotgun I’ve shot, is easy on my shoulder and I’m shooting accurately with it.

I've had no issues with my Pedersoli Brown Bess. My Lyman flintlock deer stalker requires much fussing to make it reliable. The Pedersoli Bess sparks well and the flints seem to last a really long time despite having a very strong/stout lock. On the other hand, my Lyman deer stalker seems to eat flints.

Used an older 36 Pedersoli blue ridge in flint. I was able to make some long shots on squirrels with that rifle and won some matches with it too. It was good quality and very dependable. Had a couple of other Pedersoli Kentuckians too. That were all well made and good shooters. The price for one has gone up some.
I would recommend a Pedersoli.

It's here!
Beautiful piece!

I got the Cabela's Blue Ridge version several years ago. I had some trouble sighting it in and as someone else suggested I replaced the front sight. That got results.

Now, first hunting trip I discovered that the powder was spilling out form the pan. Upon inspection I saw that the frizzen to pan closing had a gap. I decided instead of trying to repair it I would replace it with a drop in lock from L&R. The lock upgrade has a better closure, faster ignition, and in my opinion has been easier on flints.

As was also mentioned, they are fool proof simple to take apart to clean. I clean the barrel the same way I would a TC Hawken...bucket of soapy hot water, cleaning rod, and patches. After its dry I swab with lube and reassemble. Much easier than my Perdersoli Brown Bess.

Back