• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for my 1st flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the Dixie Gun Works TN mountain rifle that's in the classifieds here. It checks pretty much all my boxes, I'm excited about it and hope to have it in a week. I may have something done about the grease/tallow hole, like have a patchbox put in. I dont hate the hole, but I doubt I'll ever use it.

I've been shopping for a while. Seems like there's a bunch of sub $500 guns, a bunch of $1500+ guns, but not tons in the $500-1000 range out there.

Actually, the Siler lock was a creation of Bud Siler. The rights to build it was bought by Chambers so L&R does not make a "Siler" lock.

L&R makes some that are outwardly similar but the internal parts are a L&R design and are not interchangeable with the Chambers Siler locks.

On my "bucketlist" for some time has been to build a flintlock kit. After looking at what's available, I decided on Jim Kibler's 50 cal. colonial long rifle kit which I recently received. His you tube video series and detailed step-by-step instruction and the quality of the kit sealed the deal for me. The lock is a Chambers and barrel is from Rice. His attention to detail and even the special wood crating it arrived in are impressive.
I'm a newbie to muzzleloading and am located in S. New Hampshire and several kind folks from this forum have already reached out to offer their help at a range once the kit is finished.

Back