• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Looking For Lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I’m looking for lead, as I guess many people on this site are. I have never bought lead before, preferring to buy lead balls premade. I have now decided to begin making my own RB’s. Any suggestions as to where to look for lead and what would be a good price per pound? Thanks.

How important is it for the lead used for RB’s to be pure lead? If the lead contains some antimony, is that a problem? Thanks.

Pure lead is best for rifles. The antimony makes the ball a bit harder. Harder is more difficult to load. Use a smaller diameter ball and thicker patch. You may have to add some pure lead to soften the mixture.

Not as much of a problem in a smooth bore with a loose ball and wads.

How important is it for the lead used for RB’s to be pure lead? If the lead contains some antimony, is that a problem? Thanks.
Not really a big deal. You may need to adjust a little like a thinner patch. I've used them for years. WWs and range lead. Non pure lead doesn't shrink as much when cooled so lead with alloy will come out about .002 larger. If you current patches have some leeway already, you should be good, other wise use a slightly thinner patch. If you can't get pure lead, use what you can get.

The only place it can cause problems is if it is used in a cap & ball revolver.
Because the ball must shear off a ring of lead as it enters the chambers and because hard lead is harder to shear, using it can damage the loading lever on the pistol. If a separate, press type loader is used to load the balls into the cylinder while it is removed from the gun, the harder lead balls will shoot fine.

I’m looking for lead, as I guess many people on this site are. I have never bought lead before, preferring to buy lead balls premade. I have now decided to begin making my own RB’s. Any suggestions as to where to look for lead and what would be a good price per pound? Thanks.

Look under shooting accessories buy/sell/trade right here on the forum and buy that 60 pound box for sale.

Back