• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for Horse-Blanket Material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Versanaut

40 Cal
Reaction score
Evening ya'll,

I've been on the hunt to procure or make a gun case/cover/sock for my son's 38" Flintlock. I know TOW and October country make these and I am satisfied with one I bought in the past, but for this rifle, I am being somewhat picky as to the colors. I am looking for the southwestern type patterns, but in muted red/white/blue colors.

Anyone have any leads on who might sell or make these. Or maybe you know a source of material? (I don't mind making one myself) or what to search for in such material?

Any nudge in a good direction is appreciated!

All the best,

V

I see authentic ones at a few stores here; but it will cost you a bit. They are indian made, but i dont think they were from this state. I think the stores around here get them from the southwest: utah, arizona, new mexico and...I do believe...you can get on the walldrug western mall website and order them...they have quite a selection in their native store here....but I think they are shipped up here to be sold from one of the tribes down south... the lakota don't make any that i know of, but if they did, and they might, it would be at our store on sixth street, but it is pricey. i can also check on another store over in Custer, SD for you, if you'd like. Its possible they could ship it for you. They would probably be your best deal.

I wouldn't use their low end or bottom line blankets because they are made from acrylic yarn, which is essentially plastic based and at $12.50, no telling what its chemical make-up really is. They will melt if exposed to heat, whereas cotton or wool will burn, but (when uses as a gun case) can give a certain level of protection against heat until it reaches its flashpoint. Don't know for sure, but I would expect that gun oil and BP residue might cause the acrylic fibers to breakdown and damage the stock finish, whereas cotton or wool would not. If you go with a wool blend where the wool content is higher than the synthetic content, I would trust it more than total synthetic. Check out Sportsman's Guide for used or new military blankets. The Italian, Swiss (wool blend), and Swedish blankets can be found in some nice colors that, although mostly solid, would be considered period. If you go with a saddle blanket, I would step up to a heavier wool content, with wool watch for moths.

Instead of making a gun case out of a blanket, I just roll the long gun up in a blanket like a tamale, whether it be a saddle blanket or larger military blanket and tie two or three leather thongs around it for transport. Works really great for protection unless you intend to shuck a soft case like John Wayne did in the "Searchers". If you cut a blanket you will have to sew or bind the edges to keep it from unraveling, which is time consuming in its self.

Here are a couple of military blankets @ Sportsman's Guide , although a solid color, would look great as a rolled case.
Brown Swiss Wool Blanket Italian Blue 100% Wool Blanket

I wouldn't use their low end or bottom line blankets because they are made from acrylic yarn, which is essentially plastic based and at $12.50, no telling what its chemical make-up really is. They will melt if exposed to heat, whereas cotton or wool will burn, but (when uses as a gun case) can give a certain level of protection against heat until it reaches its flashpoint. Don't know for sure, but I would expect that gun oil and BP residue might cause the acrylic fibers to breakdown and damage the stock finish, whereas cotton or wool would not. If you go with a wool blend where the wool content is higher than the synthetic content, I would trust it more than total synthetic. Check out Sportsman's Guide for used or new military blankets. The Italian, Swiss (wool blend), and Swedish blankets can be found in some nice colors that, although mostly solid, would be considered period. If you go with a saddle blanket, I would step up to a heavier wool content, with wool watch for moths.

Instead of making a gun case out of a blanket, I just roll the long gun up in a blanket like a tamale, whether it be a saddle blanket or larger military blanket and tie two or three leather thongs around it for transport. Works really great for protection unless you intend to shuck a soft case like John Wayne did in the "Searchers". If you cut a blanket you will have to sew or bind the edges to keep it from unraveling, which is time consuming in its self.

Here are a couple of military blankets @ Sportsman's Guide , although a solid color, would look great as a rolled case.
Brown Swiss Wool Blanket Italian Blue 100% Wool Blanket

Great information!! Thank you! You saved me a lot of heartache for certain.

Great information!! Thank you! You saved me a lot of heartache for certain.
Also, If you do any small game hunting, you can repurpose these bags into an excellent game bag. It is a 1950s 37 Pattern military pouch used by most of the European countries. Its not much bigger than a saddlebag pouch and will hold about 6 squirrels. If you want it to look more period, just cut off the canvas straps and sew on some leather ones with the buckle of choice. You can find some decent deals on these if you shop around. I bought some years ago when they sold for under $10. You can find them in gray, khaki, or OD green, and the canvas material is super thick. Every once in a while, you can find them with a matching heavy canvas shoulder strap. I use one for a game bag as is.
Danish, British, Italian 37 Pattern Bag.jpg

Some great information here all! I really didn't know where to start. This is EXACTLY where I needed to start!

If you have any other ideas, keep em coming, and if I run across something myself, I will post here for sure!

Thanks all!!

Back